Cubase and MOTU 2408 MKII config

mastahnke

Linux Man...
I just reformatted the windoze box and am having a few issues.
I can get audio into the MOTU no problem.

1) If I monitor the audio through the MOTU Qmix application it peaks ALL THE TIME and sounds aweful. It sounds fine in cubase upon playback, but recording it hurts the ears.
2) If I monitor using the little speaker button in cubase, latency (delay) increases to a non-usable point.

I know I have had this working without these hassles before but I can't for the life of me figure out how.

-- My flow is TASCAM DM-24 via TDIF to MOTU 2408 to Cubase SX.

Which is the proper driver to use? I know the 324 one isn't good, but there are two ASIO drivers. What are optimal configurations?

I have tried both ASIO drivers with minimal luck...i think. I have also tried enable/disabling the "Enable wave support for MME device (less efficient)" box. My buffer has been set from 64 to 512, with 64 sounding better.

There is something in Cubase about Direct Monitoring. Can I use that with the MOTU? I think that might solve my problems, but the quick start guide wasn't a world of answers for me. The check box seems to be grayed out though. I haven't Read The Fine Manual on other settings because I thought it was just something stupid I am doing.

I have a dual Athlon 1800MP system with 2 Gigs of ECC RAM. The system should be plenty powerful (My Linux drive loves it)

Any suggestions?
I am in pretty dire need right now.
Thanks.
--MIKE

I am pretty sure I am using their latest driver (march I believe) But I will d/l again and see what comes of it.

Anyone???

I had the same problem with monitoring with CueMix. What cleared up the peaking for myself was to drop the faders in CueMix by -6db.
In the PCI-324 Console my buffer size is set to 64, and the MME box is ticked.
In Cubase SX I have the ASIO driver set to MOTU 324, the Clock Source set to PCI 324, and the Direct Monitoring ticked.
Let us know how you get on.

Back