Cubase 7 nightmare...

BxD

I am having to uninstall Cubase 7, due to big problems -- so until the planned fixes come out, I would stay away from it.

I read about the issue with the Steinberg HW (UR824), but the issues I am having are not the ones described.

I get spikes on track 1 when not hooked up to anything, every 15 secs or so.

Worse still, the performance meter is spiking constantly, with "nothing going on at all" -- meaning no playback or recording happening. With straight instruments only being recorded, these spikes result in dropouts and "hiccups". No inserts, sends, automation being used.

Their forums show some issues, but nothing this drastically wrong. Anyone else noticing this or similar?

/bret

Older PC, but not ancient...

Running with an SSD and Win7 at 64bit. Cubase at 64bit too. Not an intel I series proc, but upgraded video card and 4 or 8 gigs of PC ram (I'm not on the PC now).

Would really suck if my 149 dollar upgrade ended up including a new PC purchase.

Ok, you made me turn it on....

Intel Core2Duo 6600 running at 2.4 ghz. 4 gigs of Ram Video card is AMD Radeon HD6500. HD is an intel SSD only half full.

Just turned Cubase 7 on, and it is using 318K of memory (!!) Using only 2 percent of the processor though and still spiking.

memory.png

attached is a screen shot

Ahh see, guitargodgt has a symbol of Cubase!

:D

Not to hijack this thread, but with the addition of 7, is that there symbol anymore?

I am having to uninstall Cubase 7, due to big problems -- so until the planned fixes come out, I would stay away from it.

I read about the issue with the Steinberg HW (UR824), but the issues I am having are not the ones described.

I get spikes on track 1 when not hooked up to anything, every 15 secs or so.

Worse still, the performance meter is spiking constantly, with "nothing going on at all" -- meaning no playback or recording happening. With straight instruments only being recorded, these spikes result in dropouts and "hiccups". No inserts, sends, automation being used.

Their forums show some issues, but nothing this drastically wrong. Anyone else noticing this or similar?

/bret

Oh......the old 15 second spike syndrome. :(

First off, I should say that I have had what seemed to be irreparable symptoms of this twice. The first, was mainly due to an underpowered 2 core AMD, that had manufactured bloatware causing the issue. This was on C5, and was nothing more than killing the bloatware, as well as removing unnecessary crap from W7.

Then, I built an i7 with no other intention, other than recording. Ran perfectly, for almost a year, then suddenly, the 15 second spike bull***!.

To make a long story short, it had nothing to do with the software, nor the computer itself. It was a stupid $30 KVM switch, that I was using to share one of my video monitors with PC-hooked to the internet, that caused all of my issues. I ended up purchasing a new interface, spending countless hours (days) troubleshooting the issue, and finally resorted to taking it to a tech to diagnose. I ended up just buying another monitor for the internet PC for $80, and all is good now. Overall cost, $550-for a stupid switch that went to s**t.

Not to say that this is by any means, would be the solving of your issue, but keep in mind that it is not necessarily the software upgrade that caused the issue. It could be something like a graphics card incompatibility (I have the exact video card, so likely not that, but your system could have an issue with it), or a simple update that is needed in your system. Something might have just changed/failed/needs adjusted, for your particular system.

I can't really give any more details, since you do not have the exact PC as I, but I will say that it is likely something other than the C7 upgrade.

That being said, I reinstalled 7.0.0 because 7.0.1 removed a feature that I use constantly. I made the stupid move of using a new version in the middle of a project. I am like a raccoon with new shiny toys......

Everything working perfectly in C7 now.

You use the same SSD to record your projects/audio tracks, and our OS and programs to? This should not cause the spikes, with nothing running, but could lend itself to a bottleneck.

From my experience, things like overuse of throughput, or CPU usage, result in obvious loss of connection. Things like intermittent pops, or stall in playback. The 15 second spiking thing (without anything being played), means that something is using a big chunk of your resources, to connect to something that either isn't there, or shouldn't be there. This could be an internet connection, some program trying to find mommy, or some stupid F**k*ng KVM switch.

Did I just go Grimmy? lol!

Reactions: TMS
Your plugs are the first place to be looking for problems. The 64bit version doesn't play nicely with all the 32 bit Plugs, especially UAD plugs. I heard J-Bridge fixes those issues for native plugs, though I haven't tried it.

6.53 worked fine, FYI. I will start the arduous task of elimination now to get to the bottom of it.

I am thinking I have two issues going on -- which will mean this wont be a quick process. Good thing I know my way around the PC HW and SW arena. It certainly does now seem to be both a C7 and PC issue.

Lastly -- thanks for the input here.

That being said, I reinstalled 7.0.0 because 7.0.1 removed a feature that I use constantly.

What was it (just curious). When I finally got the upgrade sorted, they had 7.0.1 out for a week when I upgraded so I installed the newer version right from the get go.

Anyhow, I've decided that if my mac dies I'll probably jump ship (gasp) and snag one of those HP z series (the 820 looks good) machines that Steinberg is endorsing for cubase.

.vmx files were suddenly non existent with 7.0.1. The ability to save a track/multiple tracks routing/inserts/sends, completely disappeared. One member of the steiny support team, said 'vmx files were no longer supported'. But, it seems that it was a program oversight in the 7.0.1 (unsupported) update. I am sure it will be back. It would just be stupid if it were taken away. 7.0.0 has it working fine.

Oh yeah that's weak. I'm having issuees with the new quantise functions in the drum map window. I don't know why it functions the way it does (hard to explain) but I'm so used to how it used to work I got to figure out how to change it back.

I do dig that there is a iQ and quantise button now so things can be snapped quickly into a place you want, but changing the notes from 1/4 to 1/16 is now completly wierd, and the grid doesn't seem to want to show it right.

Just to close the loop on this one, here is what I found:

Latency checker was pinging red until I started disabling devices in Device Manager. Now the meter still jumps around too much, but I think that is a function of C7 being a whole lot more of a hog with respect to memory and other resources, plus being more "fussy" in general.

C6.5.3 was also 64 bit, but I never had issues with the 32bit VSTs (I don't use 'em). Did the jBridge thing, but that was a waste of an hour (stuff is scrambled all over with C6 and 7 installs not being done the best way -- who leaves a full product on board after an upgrade??). For now, I won't reinstall the 7.0.1 update again. No point...

thanks for the help and info...

Back