Cubase 6 Elements Mix and mastering? how the hell do you do it?

MasterRS

I've got cubase 6 elemenents on mac i5..it runs flawless..but i find that alot of the time i'm working against mp3 instrumentals..even with the mp3 instrumental turned down in volume..theres alot of distortion and problems..how do you mix and master with cubase 6 elements? what effects do you guys apply for more 'real pro' sounnds espically when playing back on phones, tvs, car etc? i jw..as ive been through pretty much every vst playing around thats on cubase 6..and can't find anything that helps?

Ok master, I've seen this mentioned in a few threads now.

You need to identify where and why the distortion is occurring.

The first thing to look at is your track output levels.
By that I mean not only the output level of the vocals and instrumental, but also of your master fader.

Tell us if any of those are peaking.

If you have limiters or compressors on, they may be working too hard. Take those off and then make sure your levels are reasonable.

I've got cubase 6 elemenents on mac i5..it runs flawless..but i find that alot of the time i'm working against mp3 instrumentals..even with the mp3 instrumental turned down in volume..theres alot of distortion and problems..how do you mix and master with cubase 6 elements? what effects do you guys apply for more 'real pro' sounnds espically when playing back on phones, tvs, car etc? i jw..as ive been through pretty much every vst playing around thats on cubase 6..and can't find anything that helps?

Yes - as Stenamaroo said - you need to do a sanity check of the levels

0. Your interface - make sure you are leaving plenty of room and not clipping when recording (no applicable to backing tracks per se)
1. Pre-fader/Pre Insert
2. Pre-Fader/Post Insert
3. Examine each plugin on the insert chain for clipping within the plug
4. Post-Fader
5. Send Returns - plugs on send return inserts
6. The master faders

Before all that make sure that the distortion and problems you mention aren't caused by the interface:
1.Latency set too low on your interface for what your system is capable of
2. Using a fire-wire interface on an un-approved chipset
3. Using a USB or Firewire interface on a shared bus with another hi throughput device like a hard drive or video camera

If you don't know what any/all of these things are - it's a good jumping off point for some independent research, or to ask more questions...

I think it's coming from premade mp3 instrumentals am using..am going to start buying wav ones soon..and as for the latency and other stuff got no idea about that..ill google it :)

okay this is a screenshot attached of my latency..im on a macbook pro i5 2.4ghz 200GB hard drive..

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-07-25 at 10.52.31.png
    Screen shot 2012-07-25 at 10.52.31.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 23
okay this is a screenshot attached of my latency..im on a macbook pro i5 2.4ghz 200GB hard drive..

Hi - the reason I mentioned latency and buffer size is that if it's set lower than your machine can handle you will often hear clicks and pops that may sound like distortion. The buffer size is normally adjusted in the control panel of the Saffire Pro control panel. You can try raising the buffer size and listen to find out if the problem goes away... Real simple test, even if I made it sound complicated...

Chuck

Aha thanks Chuckle..looking at it would you say it's normal then? :s or..I think perhaps im having problems for two reasons from my research- a not properly sound proofed room..and then mp3 instrumentals..

Aha thanks Chuckle..looking at it would you say it's normal then? :s or..I think perhaps im having problems for two reasons from my research- a not properly sound proofed room..and then mp3 instrumentals..

mp3 backing tracks would not generally cause distortion, nor would anything to do with soundproofing...

Back