cubase 6/ E-liscense problem

swelborn

My E-license usb plug is no longer lighting up and I'm unable to open up Cubase (6) without being prompted to activate my license code all over again. Perhaps it got fried when plugging it in AFTER pc was powered up as when doing so the gfc outlet tripped.
I dont even know the code at this point. I hear Cubase tech supprt really sucks or nonexistant. If this is a complicated problem would it be more easily resolved by upgrading to the latest Cubase version thereby getting a new E-license and code# bypassing the issue altogether? Thanks for any solutions offered ... my first post here in a long time.

The license code is printed on an insert that came with the software. It has a big warning at the top that says "stop, don't throw away". You can also get your license by logging into your account at Steinberg, if you registered your copy. I don't get the part about tripping a gfc outlet.

The code is also printed in the little window on the usb device. I think it's a 6-digit code.

too bad about the gfci thing. I hope it didn't fry the license usb thingy. I have no experience with this sort of thing, but I'm willing to bet Steinberg will replace the dongle if you still have it in your possession. They might charge you for a new one, but at least you won't have to pay for a new Cubase license.

Before you do all that, try plugging into another usb port.
Try running the maintenance task from the eLicenser software.
Try reloading drivers.
Load the elicenser software onto another computer and try that. (maybe you fried the usb controller and not the dongle.)

There is a rep from Steinberg who comes to the site once in a while. Hopefully he can give some advice for getting a replacement.

good luck and post back here when you get it resolved. I'd like to know the details to help people in the future.

Looks like your only post....

If you have your product already registered with Steinberg, then you only have to purchase a new dongle and contact support.

Biting my tongue again....

Got off easy... another usb prt worked and dongle lights up and Cubase opens as well. However, I probably never properly registered with Steinberg.
never opened the box and installed till a year and 1/2 after purchase. I probably have to jump through some complicated hoops to get this straightened out in order to upgrade right?:facepalm:

Whew...

I don't think registering will be a problem so long as you own everything legit. The dongle is the key to it all. If your Cubase license is registered on the dongle then I think you're okay. It's been a long time since I registered my Steinberg products I forgot what is needed.

Hello swelborn,

You have to go to: MySteinberg and create an account, then register the serial number of your USB-eLicenser.
In case one day it brakes down or you lose it, you will be able to replace the license inside of it.

Best regards,
GN

Also: I have had one of those stupid little POS plastic dongles fall apart just hanging out of my computer (the shell fell off).

It sucks that you have to put so much cash in licences on such a fragile little device. I feel the same way with ilok.

Hello,

Also: I have had one of those stupid little POS plastic dongles fall apart just hanging out of my computer (the shell fell off).

It sucks that you have to put so much cash in licences on such a fragile little device. I feel the same way with ilok.

Probably you have one of the old series, the new ones are much more robust.

Best regards,
GN

Back