Cubase 5le, Monitoring problem.

gloryblues

OK so far so good.

My biggest problem to date is with Cubase LE5. The monitor button is greyed out. I can not hear (monitor) what I have recorded while trying to record the next track. I have used up my limited knowledge trying to get this feature to work, even fitting a SoundBlaster soundcard in stead of the built in audio but to no avail.

If anyone reads this and can come up with any suggestions I would be grateful.

Here is what I use...

Intel core i3 540,
Gigabyte H55M-S2 board
4gig ram
CD/DVD drives x2
On-board graphics and sound (more of that later)
Windows Xp Pro sp3 (32bit) also Ubuntu 13:4 (64bit)
Seperate powered monitors
Aleses Multimix 8 USB FX mixer
Cubase LE5 (came with the mixer) for the Windows
Audacity for the Ubuntu.

Various bits and pieces including...
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Shure Unidyne III (Lovely lovely microphone, had it for years, since the mid '70s)
Trace Elliot Commando 15 bass combo. (Brilliant for lead work)
Couple of Epiphones; EB0 with bolt on neck, SG400 set neck. No glamour, but they work.
Yamaha keyboard.

I have had a browse around but can not see exactly my problem.

Thanks in advance

GB

Maybe you need an input selected in your track's inspector?

Don't so hastily jump to Reaper and abandon a superior DAW. ...uh oh, better run for cover....

Connecting Cubase to your devices is not so intuitive. Device>Device Setup>VST Audio System is set to your interface ASIO Driver.

then

Device>VST Connections and ensure your Inputs and Outputs are set to the proper connections.

Don't ask me why you have to jump through two hoops to do this.... :(

Connecting Cubase to your devices is not so intuitive. Device>Device Setup>VST Audio System is set to your interface ASIO Driver.

then

Device>VST Connections and ensure your Inputs and Outputs are set to the proper connections.

Don't ask me why you have to jump through two hoops to do this.... :(

No offense Chili, but I never understood why so many consider it a hoop. Basic knowledge of input routing makes complete sense. Other than Cubase, I have only used Protools, and and Reaper for a short time. You still have to setup the audio driver, and connect the inputs and outputs of your ASIO device. It alludes me why it seems so complicated to some. It is just setup in a different way.

Once you set up the connections, it is done. Well, unless you change them... Ok, well that could be confusing I suppose. Then again, you set your inputs via VST Connections. Give it a name. Select that from your track input. I don't see why so many have a problem with that. Nothing easier from any other DAW as far as I have seen.

Maybe you need an input selected in your track's inspector?

Don't so hastily jump to Reaper and abandon a superior DAW. ...uh oh, better run for cover....

It does no harm to try things out & see which suits you personally.

I decided on reaper but I still use cubase because it's an excellent program, the OP might end up with something totally different!

each to his own! :D

And I do agree with Jimmy, you have to set things up in reaper as well,, ALL good part of the learning curve! :guitar:

No offense Chili, but I never understood why so many consider it a hoop. Basic knowledge of input routing makes complete sense. Other than Cubase, I have only used Protools, and and Reaper for a short time. You still have to setup the audio driver, and connect the inputs and outputs of your ASIO device. It alludes me why it seems so complicated to some. It is just setup in a different way.

Once you set up the connections, it is done. Well, unless you change them... Ok, well that could be confusing I suppose. Then again, you set your inputs via VST Connections. Give it a name. Select that from your track input. I don't see why so many have a problem with that. Nothing easier from any other DAW as far as I have seen.

No offense taken.

When I first tried Cubase it was the OEM free version at the time called Cubasis. It literally took me weeks to get everything working so I could record. And I had half a clue from my SIAB recording experience. I think my main problem back then was I really didn't know what I was expecting or what I wanted to do and Cubase wasn't intuitive enough for a newb like me.

I think Sonar is easier to set connections, but when I tried it I was already a Cubase veteran.

Thank you for your input.

I am aware of the "hoops" etc to get Cubase to work and as has been pointed out by yourselvs all DAW's need setting up properly.

It's just that Cubase LE5 refuses to allow me to monitor, for instance, a bass track (as track 1) while trying to record some guitar (as track 2).

On the set-up page called "ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver" the button marked "Direct Monitoring is greyed out. The manual says that this is because of my equipment not supporting this feature. HOWEVER, my equipment supports this feature on Reaper, in fact, I can't find the equivilant button on Reaper in the unlikley event that I should wish to switch it off.

It is a shame really, Cubase seemed such an intuitive programme and easy to use.

GB

Well then, there may be some things to try. First off, your Multimix does not have it's own ASIO drivers, and ASIO4ALL is recommended. See HERE-under docs and downloads tab.

Now, I am not sure how ASIO4ALL works, but with any other true ASIO driver, you need to select it as default in Windows as well. On XP I believe it is Start>Control Panel>System Sounds. Again, I'm not sure if that will work in this case. Either way, download ASIO4All and select it in Cubase. Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System>select it from the dropdown menu. Also check the box 'Release Driver when....'.

Cubase should always keep this as your default audio device until you change it.

Well then, there may be some things to try. First off, your Multimix does not have it's own ASIO drivers, and ASIO4ALL is recommended. See under docs and downloads tab.

Now, I am not sure how ASIO4ALL works, but with any other true ASIO driver, you need to select it as default in Windows as well. On XP I believe it is Start>Control Panel>System Sounds. Again, I'm not sure if that will work in this case. Either way, download ASIO4All and select it in Cubase. Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System>select it from the dropdown menu. Also check the box 'Release Driver when....'.

Cubase should always keep this as your default audio device until you change it.

Cheers.

I will definately give that a try.

GB

Nice! So what was your solution?

Well, it seems that I actually did not have a problem, merely my own lack of knowledge.

Because the USB works both ways (I think it's called "full duplex") I can listen to what I already have and record another track at the same time. Now, of course, I am suffering with latency. When I pick a note on my guitar it does not sound at the same time from the speaker and records out of sync also. So to hear the playback AND my guitar, I use a mike in front of my amp instead of the headphone socket (kills the internal speaker) and not use the monitor feature. Seems to work.

Now I am also getting "red button syndrome". I have played live in front of some quite large crowds, no problem. As soon as I press record on the Cubase, I find that the neck and frets seem to mean nothing to me and the playing turns to mush. Time to call my old mate Percy Vere.

Cheers.

Back