"Crystal" Microphones ???

Deltablues

I recently aquired a 1940's Art Deco steel cased "Crystal" Microphone made by "Turner".

I already know that the word "crystal" in the name refers to the "piezoelectric crystal" element in the microphone.

Here's the questions:

1. What would be the average response curve for a mic like this?

2. Could it have any useful application as a vocal or recording mic?

3. Would you keep it as is and use it for the old timey tonality of the "crystal" element?

4. Or would you drop an SM58 style dynamic element into the case and put the old element away in the closet for historical sake?

http://www.the-crossroads.org

The most common use for crystal mics today is in cb radios. The old crystal mics are neat to have around and look at but anythink more than that is iffy. As for dropping a 58 in it would be a bad deal I do belive. Keep in tact and use it to impress you friend with your vintage mic.

Actually, this one is a Model "9 X". I've never seen one like it before and it's not one of the one's listed in the link you found.

That said, I know it's not a very expensive mic. Crystal mics were the consumer grade mics of the time. Only the older Dynamic and Ribbon vintage mics are worth much.

That's why I'm considering gutting this one and upgrading it to a Dynamic unit.

If you want it for the looks, then the only use would be in a music video, or standing in a shelf, looking good. In that case, the innards are totally irrelevant. Or you want it because it sounds special (nice word for crappy) maybe someday you want to have a lo-fi vocal recording...

In any case, gutting it would be a bad idea. :)

Green Bullet Mic's

What kind of element do the "Green Bullet" mics used by harmonica players use? I saw one in a catalog last night and through the grill, the element looks just like the one that's in my Turner...?

Back