Crystal clear sexy reverb on Vocals

endserenading81

Hello ALL!
I want to know your opinion on what exactly is going on in the vocals for the song "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds.

I love the way the vocals sound on that song.

So on that one track from the 80's, from the way the lead vocals sound, I am really guessing this is what's going on, at least on the reverb end of it.

2 vocal tracks.

On 1. Clear EQ, short delay with hi and low cut, and mono reverb (plate maybe).
On 2. Hi pass short stereo delay, Hi pass Stereo Reverb (very clear, hi quality, maybe Lexicon.)

It sounds like the only time that the Stereo Reverb is triggered on that recording is with the hi Ss and such. Sounds great! I know this might be a common trick. Is it? Do you hear it?

So, what do you guys hear in there? I know this is very basic, I am not a pro mixer, but would love to know ALL the ways the big studios did this.

Let me know ALL the effects used, EQing techniques, routing of audio, etc.

***Please I don't want to hear how much you might hate this band, or change the subject. Just stick to the issue at hand. Whatever song you have in mind with your favorite reverb for vocals, please share. Thank you***

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited:
The 80's put reverb on the map didnt it? Wasnt the whole decade drowned in reverb ? I recall reading about Mutt Lange ( shania twain - 80's rock groups ) and how he was a big fan of bandpassed reverb. I am guessing ( without listening to your referred track ) you are correct with your assessment.

Try the same thing with your own mvox. Of course if you have the luxury of a DAW you dont have to cut tape, route and ride the faders like way back then.

Get a great vocal take or composite. Make a few spare tracks underneath. Copy sections or key phrases down to the spare track and EQ abd verb it up to your hearts content.

You can also use this technique to get perfectly controlled delays. You just shift the copied words or phrases exactly as far back as you want then treat the whole track with panning EQ and any other FX you fancy.

Back