Crossover slopes

DrJones

I am using a DBX DriveRack as a 2x6 crossover (mono). What is a typical slope settings for a small club? I guess what I mean what are freq start and end points between low-mids and mid-hi, where are the intersect points, what slopes and at what +or-db?

Thanks for your help!

You need some more very important information -the system requirements?
You gave even less info (none in the post)to go on.

mixsit said:
You need some more very important information -the system requirements?
You gave even less info (none in the post)to go on.

This is the first time i've had to set crossovers so i'm not sure if I have set them right. I have not pulled the speakers out of the cabs so I dont know the model but (4)JBL 15" subs and (4)EV 12" (2)Mid 24" horns Unknown (but I am sure of nice quality). 3 Seprate QSC amps (Mono) for Sub-Mid-Hi (another for Mon. But does not apply to this question). I do understand gain structure and unity gain. My question is what freq. do you start crossing over lows to mids and mids to highs? Where are they supposed to intersect? It sounds really good by my ears. I may have guessed right. Is there a basic rule to start with? I know rooms are different but there has to be a common start point. Hope this helps.

Thanks

The recommended crossover points and slopes are determined by the characteristics of your speakers. Normally you'd roll off the subs into the mains at somewhere between 100 and 200 Hz. It's critical to know where to set the crossover characteristics between the mids and the horns, as you can fry the horns if you feed too much low- or mid-frequency energy into them.

It's absolutely necessary to know the operating characteristics of the speakers/enclosures to set the crossovers correctly.

Back