Crosshairs.....

showstone

Ok, I felt bad after hammering Bassy the other day and felt worse when I realized I had never put anything up on the chopping block myself.....so here it is, with full disclaimer......

The guitarist from my last band was approached to do a title sequence for an independent hunting show.

The guitar tracks are the original scratch trax recorded with a Roland Cube, they need to be retracked but have not got around to it yet.....this is definately a work in progress.

Feel free to hammer on it with a critical ear......and to Bassy, let me have it bro!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9933234&q=hi&newref=1

Last edited:
Sounds pretty cool to me. Are you planning on having any lyrics or anything? If you do I think it will be cool, but without it it's kind of bland. It's good playing though. Maybe add more if no lyrics, just my honest opinion. I read the disclaimer just don't remember all of it while typing this. :D

Cool riff going on there though.

No vox to come....it's a title sequence for a television hunting program, and they wanted "heavy metal" guitars......

Thanx for the comment.

Hell yes. A hunting show with heavy metal has got to be one hell of a great hunting show. LOL. I hope all goes over well on the music for the show and the show. I always thought Ted Nugent had some good shows so I hope that this will compete. Good luck and a good listen. :)

Trump

Ok. I've listened, and sorry to say, I have no criticisms. It sounds much more polished than any of my "work" so far. So as much as you (unless it wasn't you) talk about sucking at recording and mixing, you're further along in your journey than I am! Everything sounds very big, fat, etc. Wish I knew how to do this.

That being said. . .can you give a brief summary of the recording/mix process for the guitar(s)?

Did you do any processing (reverb, etc.) to the drums?

As I said, my guitar process is very simple. . .POD distortion of some kind, through amp, with SM57.

Cool, good to hear that kind of stuff.....I am truly a noob at doing recording and mixing. If this is song gets sold to the show, it would be the first paycheck ever for studio work for me.

As far as guits go, these are just the scratch trax from when we started the project, never intended for the final mix. This was the first draft of the riff's he came up with. Played to a click track, drums were added next and the bass line just finished recently.

I tracked the guitars with a Roland Cube, little practice amp with some amp modelling, miked with a SM 57 up close off axis, just move it till it sounds good. Then I used a Rode NT1A further back......all on my kitchen table with some packing blankets for broad band absorption panels.:cool:

When we got dialed into a tone that he kind of liked, and I do mean kinda, I told him to drop the gain to half of what he had and told him to play. Then I told him to drop the gain to half of that....and hit record.

That was 5 takes, two mics on each take, some with reverb and delay and others dry. We were just "tone searching".

Processing was a lo cut about 150 i think, LA2A compresser(UAD) a parametric sweep and narrow Q cut for any offending frequencies. Possible an EMT 140 Plate for a bit of room ambience to tie the whole thing together.

It was recorded thru the preamps on my converter, Focusrite ProSaffire 10 and recorded and mixed in Reaper.

The guits get pretty mushy at times and need to be retracked with a steadier hand, we just pretty much rushed thru knowing these were scratch trax. I am going to try my Mesa Boogie Rectoverb when we retrack, but the process will be pretty much the same....minus the kitchen table.:rolleyes:

Any other questions I am more than happy to lend a lil bit of help back to this board.

Oh yeah, and drums.....not quite ready to disclose that yet, waiting to hear any critiques before I spill the beans on that.....all in due time.

Showstone, any chance you could stream it somewhere rather than having to download? Would probably increase number of people listening and/or commenting.

Showstone,

I know exactly how you feel about slagging off other people's efforts here. I always regret making shitty comments, because I come here to meet people of like mind, and often forget that as I happily and rapidly shift into critic mode. And I havn't presented anything.

This has instant appeal, and sounds great, but it really needs the vox because it starts to sound a bit generic as it chugs along without it.

Showstone, any chance you could stream it somewhere rather than having to download? Would probably increase number of people listening and/or commenting.

I 2nd that opinion. Use the drop box thing when you set up the post here, or use a music server that is more friendly and accessible.

Thanks for the comments! The song is now streaming from Soundclick. This song isn't mine, it's a title sequence for an independent hunting show. Written and performed by the guitar player in my last band. It was intended to be an instrumental, but I will pass on the vox suggestion.

I was hoping for some specific comments on the drums and bass, if anyone has the time to address those areas, I would really appreciate it.

Hey!!!! Pretty cool!....What hunting show is it? I was approached to do some music for an independant hunting show as well...wanted same thing...heavy stuff...what a coencidence(sp?)

Great riff, it seems to be missing a lot of punch with the guitars. That could be my listening situation, but for a scratch track, sounds damn good!

Back