Critique this Mix Please - Cover Band Demo Track

tjwheelinnj

Hi All,

I had a cover band in my home studio to do a demo. Here is the first track, and I do like the general way it came out, however, it's lacking "smoothness".

Please critique this mix and let me know what you think is going on/ areas of improvement. I appreciate it.

Thanks Guys,
-todd

Attachments

• Shots & Goggles - Use Somebody.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
If your DAW offers Quantization then use that as it appears to be ever so slightly out of time, quantization is a godsend :P

I'd turn down the levels also and do mastering after you bounce the mix in a new project as there appears to be some distortion in the backing vocals/cymbals (I don't know how true this is as I'm only listening through my laptop speakers and not my monitors (As I'm skiving in work :P)

But that's what I can pick out so far.

That's a great observation, I can definitely hear the distortion on some tracks, perhaps the VST limiter i was using on the end stage was a little too overdriven.

Do you think there is enough depth to the track?

I was thinking along the lines of adding more reverb??, but didn't want the drums to sink way back in the mix.

remember to mix at pretty low volumes and bring it all up in a separate project with a limiter etc...not just one stuck on the master bus

Back