Critique the mix??

She's got a pretty voice and a nice delivery for the style, but it's eq'd a bit thin and crispy. I'd cut some hi's.

Twist

groovejunkie said:
I agree with twist - so go on with another mix :D

Okay......Thanks for the critique.

I took twist's advice and cut her voice 4.5 db at 5K.... and 2 db at 2K. Then bumped her vocal track up 1 db. I gave her a copy of it like that. (I'm doing this on a Yamaha AW4416)

I've posted the 2nd version out there..... and I left the first out there too for reference.

You can tell me if I got it right or not:)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2124&alid=-1

song is "I Give My Heart Lord II"

sounds good, but the vocal sounds very compressed and sibilant at times.. the mix is very crisp and it would sound better with a softer vocal sound maybe.. minor pitch things but a very nice tune..

B.SABBATH said:
sounds good, but the vocal sounds very compressed and sibilant at times.. the mix is very crisp and it would sound better with a softer vocal sound.. minor pitch things but a very nice tune..

Yeah.... she does have some minor pitch moments. I think she recognized that after getting the cd. I do have some compression on her vocal. Not super heavy...... but I also have a light combination compressor / expander on the stereo track.

She and I were asked to write a song like this for a specific purpose. I wrote the music and melody..... and about half the words.

Thanks for the listen and critique.

kjam22 said:
I do have some compression on her vocal. Not super heavy...... but I also have a light combination compressor / expander on the stereo track.

I think I'd agree that it sounds too compressed. With this kind of music, I really can't imagine the need for any compression on the full mix.

Also: some extremely in-my-face string sqeaks in different parts. Might want to edit those.

Nice job mostly - I'd just like to hear it less squashed.

Chris

You have a pretty big sound on there. I like your vocalist. She has a good voice (those pitch problems could probably be fixed with another take or possibly autotune). There is something strange about the vocals, though, like the frequency has been cut on them or something...there seems to not be enough low end on her voice to fill it out.

I like the strings and the overall sound is nice. Oh there are some guitar squeeks on there (noticed one about the 1:40 mark or so) that is a tad distracting.

Very nice playing overall...real ambiant mood to this that I like.

:D

Thanks for the comments Groucho and Boydrj.

The lady singing....... you know she almost never has pitch problems.... but we got this project given to us late...and it was a rush job.... and she is 37 years old and 7 months pregnant :) Seriously. She struggled a little on what would normally be a pretty easy melody for her. (I could never sing it)

Boydrj.... you mentioned an autotune. I've never used any outboard or software device for that purpose (those of you who have heard me sing know I NEED it). I'm recording on a hard disk recorder (Yamaha AW4416). Would this unit http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ANTATR1 be good as a rack unit?

kjam22 said:
[B

Boydrj.... you mentioned an autotune. I've never used any outboard or software device for that purpose (those of you who have heard me sing know I NEED it). I'm recording on a hard disk recorder (Yamaha AW4416). Would this unit http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ANTATR1 be good as a rack unit? [/B]

Wish I could help you ... I don't have one myself (and I know I could use one -- :) )

:D

I appreciate this tune and the arrangment. The mix is good but sounds as if the eq is open real wide on the area above 6k and lettin everything crispy come in especially when she`s not singing there its cool on her voice but when she gets up in that area the highs are a little too accentuated and corrects some when she comes back down. The snare is a little too strong, listen to the rythymn guitar and ride cymbal, if the snare were turned down some and moved back nearer to them a little more, the kit would sound more in one area. The voice needs some lower mids. I like the big smooth bass and the guitar sounds, The solo is a bit strong in the mix but its very tasteful.

Back