Critique Please!

Archiegood

Hi, all:
I have posted four cover songs at this site: http://www.myspace.com/garyroyer

I record on the Audacity Freeware Sound Editor. I use a Yamaha AW16G for effects and drum loops. I bought it 4 years ago to use as a DAW, but found it really difficult to use. I play an acoustic guitar with a Fishman pick-up, an old Electra bass, and use Samson C01 mikes.

I play all the parts. Feel free to give honest feedback.

Thanks!

In listening to Venus

Here's some negs - I think the bass tone could be majorly improved. It's all highs and some slight mids. The drums could be brought up. the acoustic could use a bit more highs to sparkle and cut through the mix a bit better. The lead at 1:13 is a bit loud for my taste. The mix sounds good over. I think the levels are great, the playing is great, and vocals are greatly mixed as well. I like the harmonies. It seems though there's a few instruments fighting for the same frequency though and at some parts it gets slightly slightly cloudy.

Edit : I don't mean to sound negative, because it's definitely a great mix, but I'm just giving my opinion on the mix and what I'd like to hear to make it sound better. I really think the song is great and that's definitely a good start, playing around a bit and spreading the instruments evenly over the frequencies could make a really great mix.

Thanks

Thanks Mad Hat:

After many listenings, I agree about the conflicting frequencies. I'll strive to do better in my next project. My kids have convinced me to do a knock off of a John Mayer song. It might be done in the next few weeks.

have a listen to "It Must Have Been The Mistletoe."

Back