Critique please! Grind band.

inmyheartx

They're way good, if anyone remembers I recorded this band a while ago and posted the songs, but these ones sound way better. Any criticism is greatly appreciated, and sorry that it's on myspace, hah.

http://www.myspace.com/vegalv

Thanks ahead for taking the time to listen and critique. =]

Overall, the mix is good! I can hear everything pretty clearly, the individual notes on the guitars are easy to pick out. Like the drums. Sounds like Dillinger Escape Plan or The Red Chord.

Stuff to improve: cymbals need to have some slightly higher-end added I think. The guitar tone is pretty non-ballsy. It sounds like the guitar tone could use a little bit of high-mids or highs, and a slight cut in the 300-500hz range. I think that's really where the mix is kind of fuzzy. Again, volume/panning-wise, it's all really good! The vocals sound really muffled. Let me guess: singer with an sm58 down his throat? :p

steve.h said:
Overall, the mix is good! I can hear everything pretty clearly, the individual notes on the guitars are easy to pick out. Like the drums. Sounds like Dillinger Escape Plan or The Red Chord.

Stuff to improve: cymbals need to have some slightly higher-end added I think. The guitar tone is pretty non-ballsy. It sounds like the guitar tone could use a little bit of high-mids or highs, and a slight cut in the 300-500hz range. I think that's really where the mix is kind of fuzzy. Again, volume/panning-wise, it's all really good! The vocals sound really muffled. Let me guess: singer with an sm58 down his throat? :p

Definitely DEP / Red Chord / Ion Dissonance influenced, the dudes are awesome. The guitarist and drummer are brothers and have been really only playing with eachother forever, but they fucking rule. Most talented family ever, haha.

I was thinking the guitar tone could use a little more highs, i'll get on that. I kind of like the cymbals with the tone they're at, but I will definitely try it with more high end, maybe that's one thing i'm missing. As far as vocals, it wasn't even a 58 down the throat, I don't have a 58. If I had a 58 it would sound better, but he used his mic (a shitty Samson live vocal mic), which he cupped and what not, and that always sounds crappy. I usually use a 57 with a windscreen for this type of music and it sounds awesome but my friend could NOT stand not holding the mic.. and it sounds like balls because of that hahah.

Thanks for your input man I really appreciate it. =]

Peace!

Hahha, yeah it sounded like the classic "I just can't get into it if I don't hold MY mic man!" routine. I convinced our singer he didn't need to do that and his vocals were ridiculous! (In a good way)

Good stuff though mang! Keep me/us updated!

steve.h said:
Hahha, yeah it sounded like the classic "I just can't get into it if I don't hold MY mic man!" routine. I convinced our singer he didn't need to do that and his vocals were ridiculous! (In a good way)

Good stuff though mang! Keep me/us updated!

Ya, that was definitely the routine, hhaha. Oh well, I have to deal with what I have ya know? Anyway, i'll be doing some further mixing today, so I will definitely post something when I get done with that. =] Thanks dude! Peace.

Mix sounds pretty good for the style. I agree the guitars need some work. I dont know about adding highs but pulling some low mid somewhere in the 250 to 500 range might help. They are a bit boxy to me.

Vocals lack the low end or pitch shifter effect I expect from this gere of music. All your bag there. Matter of taste I guess.

Can't say much being that it's a bit out of my element. I would have to agree with Steve on the guitar sound though.

Good Luck.

F.S.

Overall I thought the mix was good. I find it sorta hard to discern the guitars and cymbals over the screaming. ( No offense),..just not my genre,...I don't fully understand it,..but it sounds like pretty decent production.

myspace sounds like garbage and is not a reasonable way for people to judge your mixes. all i can say is the cymbals need less mp3 compression, and the guitars need less mp3 compression, and the vocals need less mp3 compression..

Back