Critique my vocals? (Again? :) )

MEvansMusic

Hey guys, so I know I've started a couple of others threads in the past few weeks about critiquing my vocals and I've really been trying to focus on the advice that I was given. So, I've decided to upload a new clip for critiquing to see what everyone thinks now that I've maybe spruced up my technique a little bit (or maybe not..heh). But really though, if anyone thinks I need work please let me know, I want to become the best vocalist that I can possibly be and need any tips or advice or compliments at all. The track has a small amount of reverb on it if anyone wants to know. Thanks guys, it really means a lot to me:

Something I Need (OneRepublic Sample):

https://soundcloud.com/matthewevansmusic000/something-i-need-onerepublic

I find your voice to be quite good. It is the recording that I would work on improving at this point.

Time to invest in your future man. Whether you are hoping for stardom or just to enjoy singing, it seems it is time to start producing more viable product.

:)

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you like the vocals. :)

I've been rather serious about my music as of late and recording more viable product is something I've been working on for quite some time. I use Pro Tools 11 and am purchasing Melodyne Essential tomorrow (finally), so in the near future I'll be putting some stuff together. I've spent the last few months getting familiar with Pro Tools and learning to make good quality recordings (soundcloud music = live stuff) but I've never had too much faith in my vocals...I've just feared that if I don't practice enough I won't get the results that I want and people won't want to listen to my stuff.

P.S. hopefully a good kind of pee? Hahah, if that makes any sense...I'm glad you actually like it though, it's just an experimental track of sorts

Yeah, it was a good pee. Likely due to the consumption of turkey dinner and beers. lol

Make sure you look into treating your room. The best investment I ever made was building acoustic panels for my studio. By far, the best results for the money I have ever spent. Not even that much if you are handy with a few tools.

To be honest this is something I've been thinking about doing for awhile but have never really known how to go about doing it. I've heard of a million different ways that people treat their room, with mixed results. I always hear people say that you should and then a lot say don't bother. I know the specifications dimensionwise of the room determine most of the needed treatment, but how would you recommend building your own acoustic panels?

Also...forgot to mention, I'm glad to hear that it's a good pee. Thanksgiving's the best, isn't it? :)

LOL! Yeah, I am very thankful. :)

The best way to treat any room and not make it a permanent installation, is to build panels. Straddle the corners with 2' x 4"+ panels, then panels at first reflection points.

There is much about this in the Studio Building & Display forum.

Not really organized as of yet. I need to get to work on that...:)

Thanks for the link; I forgot how much of a gold mine this site is. I guess I could also look into booking studio time as well, but I'm not sure exactly how that works when it comes to editing...total newb question here, but if I were to hypothetically book studio time could I just take the results and edit it myself in Pro Tools? OR would it all have to be done there? I suppose the later would be better considering the equipment and the staff, but I'm just curious if you get that option.

I agree with Jimmys69, your voice is very listenable, but the recording part of it could be better. What kind of mic are you using? You could try a decent condenser mic and add in a bit of vocal compression after for a sound that really jumps out at you. It looks like you already have the pro software.

Very awesome though, I really enjoyed listening to your voice!

Thanks! I'm glad you like my voice..means a lot to hear you guys saying that. I think that my voice is pretty decent for the most part, but sometimes I worry that people just tell me it's good just to not crush my dreams. I'm only 19..so I've got time to practice :) but I worry I'll never be good enough to get anywhere with it. Anything I could work on that stands out?
And honestly for this recording, I just did it live for critiquing purposes. I use an AT2035 condenser mic with a Zoom H4N and probably not the best room in the world (but not garbage). I think I drenched the recording in a little too much reverb (one of the zoom preamps..really need to get a proper interface to work in w/ pro tools) and that might have shot the quality of the recording down quite a bit.

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw out another link to critique while were here, same song, just better quality. I recorded it for someone but thought why not throw it up here. Thanks guys, give if a listen if you'd like, if not then that's fine too

------

The microphones overpowering the mix. Maybe reduce the Mids and compressions.
Sometimes listening to studio albums can be of help, take for example:

Listen to "We work the black seam ~ sting" - YouTube

Good voice!

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

Back