Critique my Death Metal mix?

bloodmeridian

This is the 1st mix of my upcoming demo... kindly tell me where i am going wrong, and how is the overall song sounding. Critics are welcomed :)

Attachments

• Butchers Demo Rough Mix (Without Solo).mp3
    6.4 MB · Views: 25
I think it might be a bit over-compressed. When the distorted guitars kick in, they sound a little quieter than the clean lead.

I'd say watch it with the straight 8th notes on the kick. It get's really boring if it goes on too long.
The obviously mechanical ride 16th notes around 2:30 sound pretty cool though.

I think your toms are a tad loud in places. The snare also needs some body.

The guitars are darker than I'm used to, but it's not bad. The strings on the bass sound a little dull to me, or it could be how it was recorded not sure. Doesn't seem to be enough sustain to the notes. It's clankin pretty well though.

The strings on the bass sound a little dull to me, or it could be how it was recorded not sure. Doesn't seem to be enough sustain to the notes. It's clankin pretty well though.

Yeah, I noticed the bass lacks sustain as well... im sure its that shitty gate i used to cut down on some wire-hum i get off my bass. I think i'll reduce the threshold or maybe even remove the gate.

About the snare... I'm still trying to get a decent tone which sounds somewhat real... i'll boost a couple of more Dbs in the ~200 hz general, this time quite widely... lets see what i get.

Yep. My thought on using samples/fake instruments has usually been it needs to either sound absolutely real or awesomely fake!

A live drummer is totally a must for grindcore/death metal styles. There is far too much 'finesse' going on with the drum techniques.
Even then, I totally recommend layering your samples with slate digital trigger afterwards. The live drummer will get the 'finesse' on the track, and trigger will help you nail the drum tones.
If all else fails, give the Steven Slate Virtual Drum instrument and it's groove packages a shot. Next best thing to having a live drummer track for you.

A live drummer is totally a must for grindcore/death metal styles. There is far too much 'finesse' going on with the drum techniques.
Even then, I totally recommend layering your samples with slate digital trigger afterwards. The live drummer will get the 'finesse' on the track, and trigger will help you nail the drum tones.
If all else fails, give the Steven Slate Virtual Drum instrument and it's groove packages a shot. Next best thing to having a live drummer track for you.
Yeah but not eveyone can find a decent drummer for this type of music, and the samples aren't bad. It's programming them (like this tune) that's the killer :D:D:D:D

Not everyone can find a decent drummer for this type of music in the age of the internet?
Surely you can find *A* drummer somewhere in the world who can record some midi information for you with his chops on some pads?

In fact, it's more easily achieved now than ever.....
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Midi groove packs recorded by an actual drummer destroys a programmed beat any day.... hands down.
The midi info lets you set it to any tempo too.
Woot woot

That crash cymbal is sustaining way too long, and the drums sound crazy to me. I like you guitar and bass tones though and the mix seems pretty well balanced

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

I'm gonna have to do something solid for my drum sound! I found this vst online called the ApTrigga! It allows me to replace the fucked up snare of ezdrummer with a real snare sample. After a lot of research, i got hold of some really nice sounding snare samples, gonna tweak them to sound much much more fuller.

Sadly I can't really find a live drummer at the moment! It's gonna be too difficult finding one anyways. Im gonna try adding some dynamics to the drums so that it doesn't sound too mechanical.

Stay tuned for some other upcoming demos guys :)

Good call on ApTrigga though. It's a pretty good program.
The slate digital programs come with a silly amount of amazing samples though.
I think you can download a 30 day trail of trigger off of their website if you want to check it out for yourself.

Back