Critique Me - Heavy

NegadivOne

Alchemy slut
Okay, maybe don't critique me but go ahead and have at my latest mix. Click on MUSIC in my sig and listen to Diffidence.

I'm happy with the song but I'm not so sure about the mix. My guitars have more mid in them than usual and Im not sure if I like it or not. You can listen to Strength in Number(s) for reference.

Also I have a new bass rig so mixing and editing the bass tracks were totally different from what I'm used to.

I really need some fresh ears to listen to the bass especially. Actually for everything. I live in an apartment so I have to mix at low levels so I'm not too sure whats going on. I really like the mix I got on Strength in Numbers so I tried to get this new song as close to that as possible.

Let me know what you think and don't pull any punches. :o

NegadivOne,

...well this sounds like a great recording and mix to me.....I hope to you get some more feedback.....

The performance is very 'tight' ...you should should add some 'Satriani' type guitar solo or some intense vocal or both....

...very impressed.....

mcmd

mcmd said:
NegadivOne,

...well this sounds like a great recording and mix to me.....I hope to you get some more feedback.....

The performance is very 'tight' ...you should should add some 'Satriani' type guitar solo or some intense vocal or both....

...very impressed.....

mcmd

Hey thanks for the feedback its great to hear. I agree it needs more but I can't sing and I'm not very good at guitar either lol. I'm teaching myself as I go but I feel I'm getting a little bit better with each song I do.

It's not intended to be instrumental though, like I said I can't sing and I don't know any singers either.

Oh and after coming back and listening to it with somewhat fresh ears I think the snare needs to come down a bit, even if just during the soft parts.

I think the guitar tone is great, are your drums programmed? Make sure you work out some technique in the programming to make the cymbal sticking more realistic.. I'd verb the drums a little bit to make them a bit bigger sounding. And bring your bass up. It sounds pretty much like just guitar and drums.

Nice!

The mix sounds allright, and MAN!!.. do I like your guitarsound!!!..

The bass is good too, really.

Playing is good and tight, song is good, even though the most progressive parts were beyond me, the chuggings cought up soon enough. :D

Ripping sounds!..

Good sounds! I like the guitar tones. Drums sound pretty good too. What do you use for them?

Bass sounds ok.

It could use a solo, but not necesarily. I'd like to hear it with vocals.

Good Job!

Nice sounds man....cool tone on the guitar. Overall mix is pretty cohesive...bass and guitar interact well together, and don't seem to get cluttered. Bass has a good sound to it. Just enough drive for my tastes.

Tune is cool....do you have any lyrics? I don't "sing" really, but might try something to this, and see what happens.

Wow thanks for replying everyone. I'll try to address the things mentioned.

First of all, I always find it funny when people on here talk crap about Line 6 or direct guitar or bass recording. I use a Line 6 guitar port for all of my guitar and bass tracks and every time I post a song people say they love my tone lol. So thanks for noticing, I spend a ton of time dialing in my sound.

The drums are programmed using leafdrums. They are samples I recorded myself of my own drum kit though. (My drums are for sale by the way, 7pc. Taye StudioMaple). I have a decent amount of reverb on them and it still doesnt cover up the machine-like cymbal sticking, leafdrums doesnt have any functions like that, so I'm still trying to find ways to deal with that.

Oh and Dogman (or anyone else) I don't have any lyrics but I would love for anyone to take a stab at singing to my song. I have been writing songs for about 6 years now but I have NEVER worked with singer, so it would be awesome to hear. You can download the mp3 from soundclick to work with or I could email you a bit higher quality version.

Thanks again to everyone :)

One way I found to help the sticking on cymbal work.. for example on a hihat.. make two channels of the same sound - lower the volume of the 2nd one(by about half) and instead of say doing "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" on the one track, have the louder track doing 1, 2, 3, 4 and the softer tracking doing the &'s. it seems to have a more realistic sticking sound to it.

In the riffing sections the bass & guitar tones don't work for my taste the latter being too distorted & almost without any guitar sound in it. The former almost disappears but comes good in the second riff section.
I really like the tones in the arpeg section.
Mix is good - please don't do a satch over the top!

rayc said:
In the riffing sections the bass & guitar tones don't work for my taste the latter being too distorted & almost without any guitar sound in it. The former almost disappears but comes good in the second riff section.
I really like the tones in the arpeg section.
Mix is good - please don't do a satch over the top!

Not sure what you mean by first riffing section but if you mean the very beginning of the song then I agree. For some reason those notes did really wierd things to my guitar and bass. Playing those parts unplugged always sounded like it was way off tune. And the bass in that section was turned louder than the bass for the rest of the song but for some reason it wants to hide. I'm not sure why, because I recorded the bass all in one sitting with all the same setting.

Back