Critical ears required

Anarchist

Hi guys,
Here is my first recording/Mixing I played all the instrments and did vocals. I would really appreciate if you guys can give me some feedbacks, most of all mistakes and tips for improvement, vocals(no actual words) and guitar solo are rough and have some mistakes will re-do again. here is what I recorded with:

Main Rig:
Presonus Firebox
AMD 64 3000+
KRK RP5
Sonar 5 PE
Acid Pro 5

Guitar:
Jackson DKNY
Boss GT6
Recorded directly with digital out

Bass:
Ibanez SR1300
Digitech BP80
Recorded to line in

Vocals:
Rode NT1-A
FireBox Preamp
No hardware compressor during recording

DRUMS:
Beta Monkey Drum loops
Acid Pro EQ and COmpressor

ROOM:
My bedroom
No accoustic treatments

EFFECTS/PLUGINS:
buzzroom BuzComp Free GranComp3 compressor
SIR Reverb with lexicon 960lss pluse files
Sonitus EQ

Wave:
http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=01MABN7W02ZNV2IEKPHIJDBM52

MP3:
http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1R4QGXH8EJESM1T6Y7ZSFKTVFI

i think you should mic a guitar cab and not record the guitar direct..and try laying the guitars..from what im hearign the heavy guitar sounds too thin and you can really hear the bass..but overall i like the drums and vocals and the bass tone!

Thanx a lot StudiMxpx, I think you are talking about distorted guitar tone, that can be easily fix by using a different preset or with just some EQ. I dont have a guitar CAB thats why using GT6, how about sound stage and imaging and everything sit in the mix in your opinion?

i like it how you pan the drum cybals left and right..im listening to this right now on some cheap computer speakers that i got from walmart lol but i think the bass needs to come down a little and the only thing i can really hear wrong is the guitars..are the drums loops..or samples..or are they real?

drums need to be out more. The mix overall sounds quite thin. Try to do something about the kick drum.

I don't know what you did in this mix, but it sounds overly compressed. In most cases, less is more when it comes to compression. Everything is a bit too squashed. Let it breath!

frankie I used compression on drums only in the mix and used an overall compresor in mastering I will try not to compress in master and see how it sounds and will EQ the Kick, so you saying drums need to be louder? studio it is jazz00@hotmail.com, I appreaciate your help man. one question though what monitors you guys used? I am using KRK rockit 5, which has only 5 inch woofer, and it sounds pretty heavy on em, I was expecting that you guys will find it low end heavy mix when checked them on bigger monitors.

The drums feel like they are a bit too squashed with compression. I think backing off on the compression, raising the kick drum a tad, and raising the whole drum mix up a bit would help.

frankie I will try your suggestions for sure, I did 3:1 compression on drums, I will try 2:1 and see how it sounds.

Back