Critical and Analytical Listening

It's kind of related to bias, but one of the first skills one needs to develop for critical listening is dicrimination. Being able to listen to a piece of music and hear all of the individual parts.
I guess it's easy to dismiss mixes of artists you don't like, and to gloss over recording blemishes of those you do.

I've noticed two characteristics of people who come in to record:

1 They hear things that don't matter, and
2 They don't hear things that do matter.
Man, I love you guys! :) Not only do I agree with it all, but you guys are unwittingly dovetailing right into what I was going to continue with. I had not thought about it in this way until now, but I think you guys are right, another form of bias is the bias of music itself. Discriminating parts and focusing on the right parts can be difficult because humans tend to have a bias going in for their initial perspective of the song or genre going in, rather than taking an open and non-prejudged perspective as to the sound of the production in general.

Which is why I usually recommend as a next step that practice critical listening not only away from the studio, but away from music itself. I get a lot of rolling eye in response to this, I'm used to that; but it's a method I strongly believe in (I'm not saying it's the only method, just one that I find to be very effective): Get outside and listen to Mom Nature with a critical ear. Not only are the great outdoors as perfect as we'll get to a perfect room as far as our ears our concerned (we've had 4 billion years of evolution refining our ears to expect and work best with our natural surroundings), but you'll be extremely hard pressed to find a better source of sounds that really take advantage of and cover the entire frequency range, dynamic range and physical sound stage the way that nature itself does.

Next time a thunderstorm blows through, take the time to listen closely and intently to the mix that nature puts together. It can send chills down your back in it's sonic beauty and do so in a way that's impossible to reproduce through human technology. Listen to the way the sound of the thunderclap varies based upon the distance of the lightning strike, how it changes as it moves arouss our field of sound from left to right, teaching us much about the directionality, reflectivity and persistence of differing frequencies, and how frequency can be an indicator of distance and depth, Listen to the incredibe range between the initial attack of the lightening strike and the low, low rumble of the same strike reflecting back from hills or building several miles away. The high frequency, almost white noise of the light rain that slowly expands down into the upper mid and then the midrange frequencies as the intensity of the downpour increases. And so on.

This is not only an excellent canvas to work from because of it's extremes and complexity (not to mention lack of clipping, electronic noise floor or other artificial distortions ;) ), but because there is no bias of interest that can get into play with music. The guitarist is not worried about the tone of anything being right, the drummer not worried about what genre the storm is, etc. It is what it is, and everybody is going in listening without much in the way of pre-conceived biases.

Step one was overcoming basic biases. Step two here is practicing discrimination and unbiased listening on natural sources of audio outside of music.

Step three in my own program would be to take these skills we develop listening to natural sound to listening to natural - meaning live - music. I;m not talking live music with balls-out amplification or large stadium concerts. I'm talking more intimate settings like small clubs or even home jams with music that is more acoustic or, if electric, kept to reasonable sound levels. After all, one mixes in the studio at 85dBSPL or below, not at earbleed concert levels. And mixing skills are what this topic is ultimately all about.

Using the way you listened to the thunderstorm or the crickets and birds in the summer field or the way crowd sounds develop and propagate at the baseball stadium, or whatever non-music listening exercises you performed, listen anew to the live sound of that ride cymbal or the resonances of that saxophone or the amount of breath that vocalists voice, and start hearing a richness and thickness that you may not have appreciated before.

And while you're at it, get outside your comfort zone when it comes to music styles. Normally listen to country? Just for one night hit that piano bar down the street from the riding bull bar where you usually go. There will be a seat for you because the jazz man is getting outside his zone that night by checking out the midget Kiss tribute band down at the biker bar that night in order to expand his palate as well. And so on.

I'll save steps 4, 5 and 6 for later as the thread develops.
steve.h said:
On a very related note, is anybody else having a hard time NOT critically/analytically listening to music? Especially that which you have tracked/mixed/written yourself?
I personally find these days that the critical ear and the music appreciation ear are pretty much simultaneous, but (luckily) still I am a lover of music more than I am a lover of audio engineering. The song and the performance are always at the forefront for me. Like Tom said, you can grab an old Houd Dog Taylor bootleg that engineering-wise sounds like crap, but the first thing I'll notice is, man that ol' boy is really beltin, and it's making my skin crawl in a good way.

A great production, OTOH, rarely will move me *on it's own*. If the musicality is there, then a great production can send everything over the top, for sure, but no matter how much studio lipstick you put on a drunk playing "Chopsticks", it just won't do it for me.

Shure, when it's my own mixing, I'll tend to be more critical on the critical listening side, and that will be harder to turn off, but it still wins up in my head being measured against the question, "Am I enjoying listening to this, or can I make it more enjoyable?"I try not to get too bogged down in the details of a tone or song, just whether it's adding to or taking away from the desire to listen to the song.

If the song or performance is just not that enjoyable of an experience, unless the recording or mixing are just plain totally f___ed up, no amount of tweaking is going to make it enjoyable.

G.

Which is why I usually recommend as a next step that practice critical listening not only away from the studio, but away from music itself.

There is a way of listening . . . it probably has a special name . . . but I think of it as listening "inside the music".

Listening to the sounds around us is one way of doing this.

A few examples:

1 I once worked at a record manufacturing plant. For a while I spent time at the goods loading dock, which was located next to one of the plant rooms. All day long I listened to the sound of vinyl processing machinery humming away. Different machines would switch on and off in their automatic routines, so there was a constantly varying background hum and other mechanical noises providing an auditory backdrop to the work environment. I (much to the chagrin of management) found myself almost hypnotically listening to this, humming away and creating interesting harmonies to this foundation, when I should have been checking shipping manifests.

2 In my days of driving to and from more regular employment, I never had the radio on. Instead, I used to sit back and relax to the sound of car noises: the tyres on the road and the changes over different surfaces, the whine of the engine at different speeds and assorted wind noises.

3 In the mornings I arm myself with coffee, go outside and sit in the sun, and listen to the nature sounds around (we live in a rural area). It is a challenge to figure out what is the most distant thing you can hear. In this way, you are bypassing the more obvious, closer sounds, say, of birds singing in the bush near you, but instead, listening for that cow lowing quite some distance away.

I drive my wife spare by playing tracks repeatedly. She says "don't you get bored listening to the same thing over and over again?" I reply that I'm not. Each time I play a track, I'm listening for different things. That includes bypassing the sounds at the forefront and listening to what's happening in the distant background of the mix.

Sometimes I do this with the client present, and I will stop the replay and edit out a click or a paper shuffle on a vocal track. They will say that they hadn't even noticed it. That's not acoustic ignorance on their part . . . it's just that their ears are not focussed on that area. They are listening to the sound of their voice (or whatever), not to what is happening around it.

I hope this doesn't sound like bragging . . . it's just a different way of focussing your attention. I guess there is an analogy with driving. Skilled drivers are alert to what's happening some distance down the road, centre, left and right. They will see a moving shadow in a parked car, and be alert to the possibility that the driver might open the door in their path, or that the car five cars ahead has put his brakes on, and start slowing as a precaution . . . that kind of thing . . . rather than focussing just on the number plate of the car directly in front.

I hope this doesn't sound like bragging . . . it's just a different way of focussing your attention. I guess there is an analogy with driving. Skilled drivers are alert to what's happening some distance down the road, centre, left and right. They will see a moving shadow in a parked car, and be alert to the possibility that the driver might open the door in their path, or that the car five cars ahead has put his brakes on, and start slowing as a precaution . . . that kind of thing . . . rather than focussing just on the number plate of the car directly in front.

I would say that this is definitely discriminating listening, but more in the area of listening for informational purpose. Now if you felt that the sound of the car brakes ahead has too much in the area of 8K and is 3 db too high then were talking critical listening.:D

I think that another factor is how educated the listener's ears are. My ears are by no means expert but when I hear something that is poorly limited, I can hear the sound hitting the end stops. When a sound is lacking texture I can hear that it is too smooth. I can hear that a lot of vocals on home recordings are recorded using microphones that are bright but simultaneously lack presence and air. It has taken a while for me to be able to hear this sort of thing in other people's recordings. I had to hear them in my own mistakes first.

I think that another factor is how educated the listener's ears are. My ears are by no means expert but when I hear something that is poorly limited, I can hear the sound hitting the end stops. When a sound is lacking texture I can hear that it is too smooth. I can hear that a lot of vocals on home recordings are recorded using microphones that are bright but simultaneously lack presence and air.
No question you have developed at least some degree of analytical, or educated, ear. That's not just another factor, but it's what this thread is all about; just how does one GET that educated ear.

For some it comes more naturally than others, but for all with fairly normally functioning ears (even only one of them ;) ) it is a skill that can be learned and developed. To go back to your first sentence, Mike, the question is how did that listener's ears get that education? These methods are key.

It's often VERY difficult to explore the "hows" . Back when I was put in charge of the shit slide team at FTD in the early 90s, I was allowed to hand-select a team of the very best troubleshooters we had in our tech support department; the very best of the crop. One of the first projects I tasked them with was to start describing (on paper) some of the mental techniques they used to troubleshoot problems when providing phone support to end users. The idea was that we'd put these together into a comprehensive course on troubleshooting techniques that we could teach to increase the overall quality of support in the whole department. I already had ideas of my own as to how many of these techniques worked, but I obviously wanted to get ideas from these guys as well.

The silence that accompanied the deer-in-the-headlights looks I got from these people when I announced this plan was absolutely deafening. These guys had no idea *how* they did what they did; they frankly never thought about it, they just did it.

It's much the same thing here, except the engineer is troubleshooting sound instead of computer networks. Ask most audio engineers how to do something, they simply say "use your ears" or "let your ears tell you", but when you ask them HOW to use their ears, they don't have much of an answer.

This is what we're looking at here, HOW does one learn to develop their ears? How does one teach critical and analytical listening skills?

G.

This is what we're looking at here, HOW does one learn to develop their ears? How does one teach critical and analytical listening skills?

G.

I think that we're moving along that path. The first thing is being able to know good from bad otherwise yous have no goal. To use the analogy of troubleshooting software, you have to know logically how you want the software to work before you know if there is a problem. In music you also have to have a musical goal be it genre based or not.

Next when troubleshooting software you have to be able to identify an issue where the software is not behaving as it should, break it down into its logical components, and see where it's failing in a repeatable way. Same sort of thing in music, what does it sound like as a whole? If something feels wrong what component of the music is bothersome? It could be the music itself, but that's one of either personal bias or poor musicianship/songwriting. As engineers our objectives are to ensure good sonics more than the actual production. So removing that as part of the problem, what is it about the production that does meet our requirements? Are there frequencies that stand out that don't fit? Does it sound grating and harsh? Are the dynamics too wide or too squashed? Which dynamic, the kick, the overall music, etc.

Once we have identified and have a basic handle on the problem we have to be able to tear that apart. If its a problem in frequency we also have to be able to determine what part of the frequency range is problematic and why. This is where some ear training can help (I hope to get into this here). But you also have to determine if the cause of the harshness is due to a combination of things, maybe there too much upper mid, maybe too little lower mid, maybe it's due to the addition of the the cymbals in the mix, maybe it's actually not a problem at all but adds a certain energy, i.e. being able to discriminate without bias is probably skill no 1 to develop. How do we do this? G. already said it, listen to all types of music and sounds (natural and otherwise). Listen to good productions and bad ones. Discuss what is good and bad about them with other people to see if maybe you're missing something. If possible listen to a mic and try to identify all of the parts before looking at the track sheet or DAW to see what's in there. There's no way to be able to do this without experience and practice, for some this may come more naturally, but like anything, with enough practice and listening for the right things, it can be learned.

To this end I would like to hear some feedback on the following:

For a given style of music, pick your favorite track and least favorite track with regard to sonics (not songwriting or production). Identify using (or not using) the eval matrix and let us know what you do and do not like between them. For problemas let us know how you would fix 'em.

Last edited:
Once we have identified and have a basic handle on the problem we have to be able to tear that apart. If its a problem in frequency we also have to be able to determine what part of the frequency range is problematic and why. This is where some ear training can help (I hope to get into this here).
And - once again - you are already at exactly where I would go next.

Step four for me would be to learn the names and numbers of the various sounds we have learned to discriminate. What does that guy mean when he uses the term "high-mids"; what do the "high-mids" actually sound like? What does 200Hz actually sound like? What does 2kHz actually sound like? And, wow, all of a sudden I can actually identify the two in a track and still pick out key frequencies in-between with a blindfold on and without having to follow any EQ recipe or look at any frequency charts. All of a sudden we can actually start using our ears because our ears can all of a sudden relate to all the crap we're reading in forums like this one.

Regular readers know I have an exercise I like to recommend at this point, but I don't want to step on Tom, who seems to be working towards something in a bit more measured of a pace. I want to see where he's going with this.

G.

Tom, I'm not sure what kind of feedback you're asking for there? Are you asking for feedback in the form of people actually performing the exercise, or on the idea of the exercise itself?

G.

Actually performing the exercise, I just didn't want to come off like this was "homework". We have to start by learning from historical recordings, those that don't know history are condemned to repeat it.

Ok, it's f****ing homewerk. Anyone wanna pass in their paper so that the forum can review?
Amazing how this is a 5-star thread as long as you are spoon-feeding them the answers, and then dries up as soon as there's any actual effort involved.

Maybe one of your students from last year should just post one of their papers up on the Internet so that everyone here can just download it and put their own name on it and pretend it's theirs. :rolleyes::(.

G.

NCLB.jpg

Wow. Excellent thread; I've just seen it and read through the whole lot.

Unfortunately I do not have anything even slightly constructive to add, other than to say that since I've been reading the forum I am startled and simply inspired by the amount that I don't know (as I've said before), and I look forward to getting a bit more stuck in with developing my ears and learning some theory.

Keep up the good work guys!

Did you want us to actually post one of those critical listening evaluations? OR what were you looking for? I filled out a couple of those forms on others' songs... not my own just for my own analysis' sake.

I can post them if you want? I am going to go over and track later today so I might be able to do another one for one of my songs.

Back