Criteria Studios turns 50!

N7SC

Posted in this forum because they were founded in the days when digital did not even exist, and made some of my generation's biggest recordings back in the 1960's and 1970's.

There is a story in the Miami Herald about it. Here is the link: http://www.miamiherald.com/277/story/361166.html

There is a slideshow or interactive thingy that shows some of the equipment from the good old analog days too. Also photos of Eric Clapton, James Brown, etc. at Criteria.

If you read the article it is very telling of how times have changed. Back then musicians got together and made music. They hung out together, exchanged ideas, collaborated, and had fun doing it. Making music was what they lived for. And, in my opinion, the results spoke for themselves: Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young recorded Deja Vu there, Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominos) recorded Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs there, etc. Somehow it was all that way because of the way analog/tape recording worked.

Sadly, it has all changed. The picture the article's author paints of the lone engineer sitting in an empty control room working on files that may have been emailed in is very bleak and depressing. Or the "artist" the author mentions that may come in and give it one take of a song, then leave for dinner with the direction to the lonely engineer "make it sound good," absolutely sucks.

BTW, I am originally from Hollywood, just north of where Criteria is located. Spent a lot of time in the North Miami Beach area right near there. So there is some interest in the article to me from a "things back home" perspective too.

Anyway, Analog most certainly is far better, and in all its ramifications too. Thank God for everyone who is trying to keep it alive.

Thanks for posting that; excellent piece with some concise reasons why we have the recorded garbage we have today.

This should be mandatory pre-posting reading in the newbies' section, before they get to ask 'what's the best way to record hard rock' or some such...

Best,
C.

I could not make it beyond the first half of introduction of that article. :eek:
It gave me acid-reflux, where is my purplePill???? arghhhhhhh

/respects

Back