Credits, how in depth do you go??????????

pM of impk21.co

I didnt know where else to post this, but I was hoping I could get some advice!

I am struggling with the issue of giving out credits. I know many talented people get screwed out of proper credits all the time. If anyone could give me some advice as how to properly give credits, that would be well appreciated. Here is a little senerio I currently have.

What we have.

Two labels are working together to put out an artist's debut album. Each label is splitting all costs half and half. I am the owner of the PK21 Productions label and my guy Trey is the owner of the SVE label. Both of us are producers as well. Now, the twist up. On my side(PK21), I have another producer(Mitzzo) who also does the mixing of our songs. 85% of the recording and mxing will be done on my side for the artist's album!

One of our artists has recorded a song. The artist wrote it and performed it himself, the beat was produced by Trey of SVE, the song was recoreded at my home studio and then was mixed by my producer of PK21. When it was done, I gave it a listen, suggest some stuff here and there, maybe drop the volume on that vocal just a tad there and then I let the artist listen to it and give a little feedback from there. Again this is a song going on an album that is going to be produced by two labels! SVE/PK21.

How would I go about giving proper credits? I know a producer just doesn't make the beat and in some cases had nothing to do with making the beat! At the same time, I get confused as how to properly credit everyone for what they did, how to word it. Any suggestions? I've read dozens of credits on cds, but I still dont understand every little credit and placing of it. Thanks for ya time. PM

I have never had to write album credits but I have seen how a song gets created (and how sometimes many people can be behind one song's creation)...I will throw some thoughts at you: If you had the space and desire you could describe the creation of each song just as you did in your post ("Joe had a idea for a song, he sang it to Frank, who came up with some extra lyrics...")...This is probably not practical...but you could break down each song and list the major contributors: "lyrics:Joe, Music:Frank.... Producer:, Engineer:, Bass:, Drums:"...I've seen album credits like this (I'm thinking "Tug of War" by Paul McCartney)...If someone doesn't quite fit in as a major contributor maybe they could be put in toward the end of the credits ("Special thanks to Joe for lyric ideas, to Frank for...")...maybe I'm stating obvious things here but that's all I got...with egos you have people who don't want to be left out for the smallest contribution and you have people thinking that someone else is getting the credit that they deserve...If I am in the middle of that I try to lean toward the side of giving a little more credit to others (in contrast to myself) to keep them happy and lessen friction).

Back