Creative Soundproofing Ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dragonworks:
I was under the impression that egg cartons
dont dampen the reflections, that the overall
effect of all the surfaces of the egg cartons
give you an infinate amount of reflection?
all cancelling each other? Can someone with
more knowledge reflect on this. We once found
a carboard manufacturer in Colorado where we
bought the single layer for 18 eggs at a cost
of 37.00 for 1000. Not the cartons, just a
single layer to hold eggs. If you want to
use any egg cartons I suggest you try and find a deal like that. If you look in what is
called the Thompsons register you will find
manufactures for this. If you are in a large
population area you may be able to find manufactures for this in the yellow pages.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Egg cartons... One of the biggest myths is that you will get sound proofing from egg cartons. I don't know where this came from?? You may get diffusion, probably quite a bit at that. But sound proofing?? Just think about it. Get an egg carton, put it to your ear, and have someone talk through it, see if you can hear them. Chances are, unless this egg carton is made of 1" thick wood or something, you will hear them as if they are speaking to you from 2 inches away, and pretty much none of the sound will be stopped. If you want to spend your money of 1000 egg cartons, that's fine, but what are you REALLY after? The two things that stop sound are 1) MASS, and 2) DEAD AIR. For most people it isn't really feasible to build double walls all around their jam space, but it is VERY feasible to put up a couple more layers of drywall. Doing this, and putting some kind of heavy sound block in front of any windows, will do wonders for sound proofing. AND, don't forget about the ceiling. Once you have that mass on the surfaces you can put up some studio foam (auralex) in the trouble spots, which will mainly be in between parallel walls where slap echo is a bitch.
Anyway, I hope I've informed at least one lost soal who was planning on investing... wasting money on egg crates for sound proofing.

So foam would probably be better than egg cartons to put across the corners of my room . I need to put up some foam as i have to much echo and the corners should probably be the first place to start eh ????

Auralex (Among others) makes special corner Pieces. I've never tried them, but I've seen em' If your in a noncarpeted room, just a big area rug works immensely.

[This message has been edited by T.J.Hooker (edited 07-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CellarCat:
So foam would probably be better than egg cartons to put across the corners of my room . I need to put up some foam as i have to much echo and the corners should probably be the first place to start eh ????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would definately suggest foam. Plus, do you seriously want to put egg cartons on your walls? If you're serious about cutting down the echoes in the corners go to www.auralex.com and check out LENRD bass traps. They fit into a 90 degree corner. Also, I just thought of this, try putting foam anywhere there are parallel walls involved. That's where you're going to get the most slap echo.

Here's a freak question:
How effective would bails of hay be? If I piled them up to the ceiling and draped them with blankets? My concern is my next door neighbor as well as the guy downstairs. I don't want to drywall, cause I don't own the place and I'll be moving next year... Would hay do the trick? Can you tell I'm dirt poor?

A less bizarre question: how effective would Auralex be at blocking out my drumset? Or is it mostly for smothering?

-Q-

Fistly egg cartons do nothing - the two things that create soundproofing are MASS and SEALING - one nail hole will destroy the sound isolation of a wall!! Carpet just deadens the highs but the low-mids and lows still cruise around the room making the room sound woofy - for correct wall construction check out
http://www.lis.net.au/~johnsay/Acoustics/Titles/Acoustics3.htm

helmholtz resonators absorb low mids yet still reflect and diffuse highs. They are cheap to make and work really well - check them out at
http://www.lis.net.au/~johnsay/Acoustics/Titles/Acoustics2.htm and click the low mids tab

[This message has been edited by John Sayers (edited 07-12-2000).]

You guys really need to define your problem.
and likely either one is NOT solved by the infamous "EGG CARTON"(ohhhh, ahhh!)
is the problem ISOLATION?!? (the murderous ice-cream man you talked about) i.e. sounds leaking into your love den from the OUTSIDE.....OR.......THE INTERIOR ACOUSTICS OF YOUR STUDIO? the reverberation, slap delay, nodes, anti-nodes, room ratio and resonant frequencies?
please define...we have to different discussions going on here...thanks!

Back