Creative Monitors...

I wouldn't touch anything from creative really. I don't see any specs for those and even if they did post any I wouldn't trust them. You wont really be able to get an accurate read of any mix with such small woofers anyway.

:eek:

Sorry Madstrum, but those monitors are simply too small for critical listening and mixing.

Maybe they'd sit nicely next to a PC in an office so you can listen to mp3s while typing up letters, but not for serious work.

Look for monitor brands like Mackie, Genelec, Event, PMC, Tannoy and so on - more expensive I'm sure, but you'd get an 'honest' and more accurate sound out of some pro monitors...

Generally, yes...

I'm not en expert on the science of them, but basically you need a large bass cone to handle the lower frequencies. The smaller speakers just don't cut it.

Any monitors less than a few hundred quid I'd avoid - although there are people on here that'd tell you not to go below a thousand! It all depends on what your budget is really, but monitors are a VERY important investment.

They'll give you years, even decades of service, so choose wisely.

I've got a pair of Event TR8s which are nice. Not the most expensive in the World (I paid around £500 here in the UK) but a good clear, workable sound. A huge leap for me being as I was working with my old hi-fi speakers before!!

Saying that, there are 'budget' monitors around. Try looking at Samson, Behringer, Alesis, ones which I think are quite cheap - although I can't vouch for the quality of them as I've never heard them.

Good luck in your quest...

I went to my local music store to buy a pair of Event TR8's and ended up leaving with a pair of KRK RP8's. They were similar in price and I personally liked the sound better. They also have controls in the back to change for positioning of the speakers. I'm stuck in a corner for my mixing and this helped out tremendously. Monitors are a personal thing and you need to find the ones in your price range that you can translate your mix to. Good Luck.
-Gotwalp

Back