Creative Labs

Thanks for the link brzilian.
There are some things I'm not clear on, however:
1)It looks like it has two 1/4" inputs and two RCA inputs, but the 1/4" inputs are not mentioned anywhere in the text.
2)Is it a two-channel, or a four-channel card?
and 3)Will it have GM instrument sounds, as the SoundBlaster stuff does.

drstawl,
I've seen elsewhere in this forum a claim that "nobody uses the Lynx One anymore". Was it great for just a short period of time?

And where would my MIDI instrument sounds come from if I used a Lynx One (or a Card D, for that matter)? I do not use a keyboard/synth. I write everything out in musical notation, in Cakewalk, and let the synth card provide the instrument sounds.
I'm assuming the Lynx One and Card D have no GM instrument sounds - that they do nothing but convert analog to digital, and vice versa. Am I wrong?
If I am not wrong, it stands to reason that I will need a source for those instrument sounds. Is this what a sound module does?
Please clarify this for me, if you can.

sibleypeck said:
Thanks for the link brzilian.
There are some things I'm not clear on, however:
1)It looks like it has two 1/4" inputs and two RCA inputs, but the 1/4" inputs are not mentioned anywhere in the text.
2)Is it a two-channel, or a four-channel card?
and 3)Will it have GM instrument sounds, as the SoundBlaster stuff does.

1. its all RCA audio inputs, the other 2 jacks are MIDI jacks
2. 2 channel stereo/4 channel mono
3. No, but who cares? Most software like Sonar and Cubase come with softsynths that sound much better than the wavetable synths on the SB's. I personally use the Roland Virtual SoundCanvas DXi softsynth that comes with Sonar.

brzilian,
I didn't know (your answer to #3)! I can't believe I've been struggling with this decision for weeks, and unnecessarily.
I am using Pro Audio 8. If I find out it has softwynths, I'm going to hurt myself.
One more question (two,really): How many drum kits does Sonar/SoundCanvas have, and are they good enough to use "as is"? or do you need to convert to audio and EQ them?

PA8 and 9 don't support softsynths or DXi plug-ins...

A little piece of friendly advice - if you don't want to spend $300 on Sonar and aren't recording multiple tracks at once, check out Cakewalk Home Studio 2002. It is basically Sonar Lite and has all of Sonar's features minus simultaneous multi input recording and some more obscure MIDI editing features. The best part is that its only $70!!! I've had it since last fall and love the program! Its even got the newer Sonar user interface.

The VSC Dxi (Virtual Sounc Canvas) conforms to the GM, GM2 and GS MIDI Standards. It has 9 drum kits (if I remember correctly) and they sound really decent. The VSC has its own reverb,delay and chorus so its sounds pretty good in my opinion. You can always add more effects once you bounce the track over to a regular audio track.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HS/HS02.html

Back