Creative Audigy (AWFULGY) problems/solutions

I still can't get my Audigy to work...the computer is not recognizing it when I run the Drivers.And the Stupid Breakout box does not work...... DO NOT BUY A AUDIGY!!!!!
Save your money and by and Audiophile.

Hey, that's a cool link!

My audigy worked fine under W98, seemed to work pretty well , except once in awhile when playing Starcraft it would start a high-pitched squeal which would continue until the game ended. the so-called "squeal of death" which I had not heard of until now.

Then just a few days ago I installed Sonar, and found that it refused to play files that worked fine under Cakewalk 9 (see thread on this page). Turned off the WDM drivers fixed the problem.

Now I am DEFINATELY going to install the new Creative drivers tonight, and I will update both threads...

Oops, actually my thread about Sonar & Audigy was on the Cakewalk page.

Anyway, last night I installed the new (8/26/02) Creative Audigy XP drivers, which supposedly fix WDM issues. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

First mistake was doing this last night at midnight. Second mistake was not creating a restore point first. Instead I just ran the executable download file. The install runs, says it has removed the old drivers, and needs to restart - "installation will continue on restart". OK fine, I restart. The machine restarts, flashes the XP logo for a second, and then goes to an instant Blue Screen Of Death (XP style). Worse, the blue screen only flashes for a moment and then the machine reboots. And starts the whole process over again. And again.

I am somewhat annoyed by this string of events, so I boot into Safe Mode. This time the system comes up, the Creative installer finishes, and tells me "install successful, you must reboot, blah blah blah". So I reboot, and the same damn screen of death and reboot cycle starts again.

Well, what XP taketh away it giveth back. I bring up the boot menu and chose "boot to last known good configuration". I'll be damned if it doesn't work exactly as advertised - my system boots up ok. First time I actually had to try this feature in "the heat of battle" so I'm glad to report it actually works.

So now my ego is at stake, I'm not going to let this stupid sound card get me goat. I delete the sound card and all drivers and software. Then I reboot. When booted XP find the card and tries to load drivers for it, but I cancel that. Then I run the new Creative driver install again, reboot, and cross my fingers.

This time the drivers work, I get my little Creative greeting sound. Yee Ha! So I open up Sonar and load a file. I hit the "play" button and nothing happens - not only no sound, but the file refuses to play. Frantic mouse clicking everywhere - NOTHING. So I open up Audio Options, and where my Sound Card should be listed, there is nothing. It doesn't see a sound card at all.

So I do what I had done before, disable WDM drivers, and restart Sonar. Bingo! I have a sound card again. Just as with the old drivers, it plays fine using non-wdm. Unlike the old drivers, where using WDM saw a sound card but caused instant dropouts & lockups, now it simply refuses to see a WDM sound card.

< sigh >

OK, any of this sound familiar to anyone?

I have an older SB Live card and it ran fine on 98SE. Now in XP I get a lot of distortion at moderate volumes and on some games it sounds like 4bit recordings. I only use the SB on my game box so I can't comment on DAW performance.

I think this may be more of an XP issue than a specific SB problem but that is just my guess.

>OK, any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Exact same thing happened to me, and I recovered my system the same way. Nice testing on those drivers, Creative. I haven't had the guts to try again since then.

The Audigy's been a nice card for me overall, but I feel a bit slighted by them releasing the Audigy2 not even a year later. Now I essentially have to buy two soundcards just to get the features that my card should have had. Creative used to be so much better than that from a consumer's standpoint. My previous card, a SB64Gold, was just fine for 3-4 years before I felt any need to upgrade.

Ive got the platinum EX, my creative play cantre anways crashes as i try to open it.

Also, How do i record the external guitar sound?

Back