creating patch scripts

JoeNovice

Junior Cheeseburger
If you have any experience creating Patch Scripts for Cubase please respond. If I get a response I will leave a detailed question.

I'm doubtfull that I'll find anyone so I'm not going to type for 10 min untill I get a response.

Thanks

JoeNovice said:
I'm doubtfull that I'll find anyone
...and with that kind of attitude, you're probably right.

Alt, I think this question goes to SyEx programming --- that's what's usually called a 'script'.

Mr. Novice, if you would be good enough to leave the full question here it would give us a fair shot at answering it.

altitude909 said:
Are you talking about the patch names for midi devices? I can probably help with that
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I could use your help with that - I've been meaning to investigate how to get patch lists for my synths in SX3.

Just how the heck do you do it?

Thanks!

Replys!!?? Good.... here's the details....

I created a patchscript with all of the program names and multi names for a Virus b to be used in CubaseSX.

The script works fine for selecting single bank and programs. The problem is in the selection of individual sounds within a multi.

I tested another, much better, script that someone else created and it also does the same thing. Here is a link for the other guys device panel; http://www.cykong.com/CubaseSX/SXpanels.htm

When in multi mode I can select program names for channels 2-16 without problem. Here is the problem; When I select a program for channel 1 it changes the multi and not the channel 1 patch within the multi.

I want to change the sound on channel 1 without changing the entire multi.

Joe, that very simply may not be a feature of the virus. Do you have the virus midi implementation guide?

OK.... yes it does have MIDI implementation....

After some more indepth manual reading;

It seems the SysEx messages for single program changes and Multi patch changes are slightly different. (Lines 8 and 9 are the only difference)

The MIDI device manager within Cubase doesn't seem to have SysEx edit functions..... only CC.

Here is a link to the Virus B manual LINK

pages 246 and 252-257 seem to apply......... :confused:

cubase sure does support sysex for device panels (all that i use), i'll look at it tonight and get back to u

OK.... follow up and solution.....

There is a setting in the Ctrl menu of the Virus b module called "MultiPrgChg." This setting must be set to "Dis" in order to prevent the change of Multi's when selecting programs for Channel 1.

AAHAHAHHAHHHHHAHHH...... sometimes I wish these things were more obvious at the start. :rolleyes:

Here's a good tip on those sysex based ones: If you have a software editor, just look at the midi output when you are changing a control. You can paste that string (it will be in hex) right into the midi device editor and by looking at the min and max values, its pretty easy to figure out what does what, and how. CC's are REALLY kinda limited with what you have available and I often get stepping with 0-127 values where with sysex it can be anything: 0-500, strings (as in text), all sorts of stuff. There is even an old sampler format (SDS) which allowed actual audio samples to be sent down the midi cable. Once you get a handle on how sysex works (a decent background in math helps btw) working shit out is not too bad.

Back