Creating a God-Like Voice for commercials

balky

Hey, everyone!

I have a question as far as creating or enhancing a guy's voice making it sound like in Radio Commercials - that God Like deep sound, like in movie trailers etc.

I am sure those voice have been somewhat doctored... what is the best aproach to make that transformation. I have cubase 3.

The more infor, the better. I've tried pitch shifter, but it does not sound real... sounds rather weird, perhaps for MONSter effect that would do.

Anyway, appreciate you input.

Thanks
Paul

As someone who used to be a radio announcer....

You don't use plug-ins, you practice and develop your voice.

(Kinda like the guy who recently asked "how did they make Darth Vader's voice?" ..... simple! They hired James Earl Jones who already HAD that voice!!)

You could also try starting with a mic such as an RE20 or a sm7 and record from a few inches from the grill. Let proximity combined with the natural sound of those two mics in specific assist in the smooth rich low tones:)

Thanks. Trust me... my voice is far from those I described. So, no damn practice will make it perfect LOL. If I go into low, it sounds low but does nto have that uhm. I don't know how to describe that quality Crisp maybe? English is not my first language, so sometimes I can't pick the right adjective LOL

I jsut got an RE27 (studioish version fot he RE20 that is used alot in broadcastig) and I have an Octava 319, that i did some of the standard mods for and I have a farily deep, rich voice, and people have often said I should do voice over stuff. Unfortunately i am a really crappy singer, so that is out.

When i got the RE27 a couple days ago, i did some test recordings through a DMP3- just read parts of a short story from a magazine i had handy, and recorded both mics, and tweaked the various combinations of straight recording, pads, low and high filters (the RE27 has 3 differet filters, the oktava has a pad and bass cut, and the preamp has a bass cut as well).

With my voice all sounded good, the medium bass cut on the RE27 was my favorite, but both mics have a similar ability to bring out the deep and the dark in my voice. In contrast, a SM58 makes me sound much thinner, with less presence. Of the two mics, i loved the RE27 because my room is only about 25% treated and the condensor picks up a lot more of the unflatering room reverb (the pad helps this a good bit though). None of hte tst recordings used any compression, reverb or other effects for the tests i did.

So I guess i would say that the voice is the biggest factor, and that both these options for LDC and LDD had flattering results. The dynamic is much more user friendly, and accomodated a less perfect room better.

Hope this is helpful.

Daav

Thanks a lot.

I needed a a studio mic, so I got the cheapest I could afford :(

I use it at home, of course, to know the difference, one must compare sound to better mics. I assume my mic is not all that, even crap! LOL

it is Samson CO3 I wonder what you think of that! It would be nice to hear samples of different mics... I mean, if the same person speaks in different mics... that would be a great example

Back