Crazy idea?

I´m raising founds to upgrade monitors and add bass traps for my homestudio and after some research, this crazy idea came to my mind...

I can´t afford pro monitors now -I was about to grab a pair of BX5a´s-, but I realized that I *can* afford just 1 pro speaker, while keeping the ones that I´m using now...

I mean, I can buy a VXT 6 (or something like that) and use a one-monitor-system just to hear clearly what am I recording and then just work stereo image and phase issues with my actual speakers... Am I making any sense?

That way, in the next few months I could buy the other VXT6 and have a pair of nice speaker instead having right away a pair of so-so monitors...

What do you think?

I think about doing that a lot - I have a friend who mixed with one monitor for a while - I guess you could do EQ on the good one and stereo placement on your existing ones?

I can't comment on the validity of the approach from the standpoint of sound mixing, but the one risk that comes to mind is the potential lack of availability of the second monitor when you're ready to buy it (if the model has been discontinued, etc.) - seems like a low risk, because you could probably find one used.

I would concentrate on the room first. Crappy monitors in a great room will beat great monitors in a crappy room any day. Plus, how many people mix on ns10's? they are horrible sounding IMO, but TONS of hit records were mixed on them.......

Crappy monitors in a great room will beat great monitors in a crappy room any day

I disagree you can learn your room and compensate if you have to. If your speakers have small woofers and your sitting close you can get by without a overly treated mix room

Plus, how many people mix on ns10's? they are horrible sounding IMO, but TONS of hit records were mixed on them

Their 2 kHz bump of + 5 dB and low frequency drop starting at 200 Hz is part of what made them a studio workhorse. Far from being flat, they “open” the frequency range with a midrange-based response that exposes the most problematic and worst-sounding frequencies. In your consumer hi-fi, the EQ preset that makes most music sound “better” (”Loudness”, “Rock”) is exactly the NS-10 frequency response, flipped upside down...

you want flat monitors when working in a studio

I disagree you can learn your room and compensate if you have to. If your speakers have small woofers and your sitting close you can get by without a overly treated mix room

Wouldn't it be WAY easier to compensate for frequency response in the monitors? I mean, a really bad monitor would have a +/- 5-6db range. Most rooms are swinging 30+ db easy.

I agree though, a flat room and flat monitors are the best way to go. I've worked with tons of bands that have worked in "pro" studios, that said mixes were great in the studio, but when they got home and listened to them, they were garbage. That never happens here, but I've got an acoustically designed space, and some pretty badass monitors ;)

I would concentrate on the room first. Crappy monitors in a great room will beat great monitors in a crappy room any day. Plus, how many people mix on ns10's? they are horrible sounding IMO, but TONS of hit records were mixed on them.......

Room treatment is out of question... I´m waiting for the wool to start making the traps...

I don´t wanna turn this into a hate-love-ns10s thread; but I would like to hear everyone opinions...

Wouldn't it be WAY easier to compensate for frequency response in the monitors? I mean, a really bad monitor would have a +/- 5-6db range. Most rooms are swinging 30+ db easy.

I take small monitors with me and track and semi mix live at times. I have recorded all over. everytime I set my monitors up. I know my monitors. I play 3 tracks I know and I'm in business. To me if i can reach and touch the monitors from my listening position the room can be learned quickly so for me its good monitors first then room treatment second

I mean, I can buy a VXT 6 (or something like that) and use a one-monitor-system

or you could pick up a pair of these for 400 flip the 2 db mid eq switch up and call it a day "super ns10s"

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-HS50M-5-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Each?sku=601417

Last edited:
I take small monitors with me and track and semi mix live at times. I have recorded all over. everytime I set my monitors up. I know my monitors. I play 3 tracks I know and I'm in business. To me if i can reach and touch the monitors from my listening position the room can be learned quickly so for me its good monitors first then room treatment second

There's a certain part of that that makes sense...as long as you're listening at low volumes and sitting close, then the room becomes less influential. Of course, if you're sitting that close you're going to end up with some stereo field distortions...and at very low volume it's tough to get all the detail that you'd get at more reasonable volume levels, but it can be done.

Where I would draw the line is saying that the room is unimportant as long as you learn your monitoring chain. It's simple physics at work...if you play broad band program material from a good pair of 8" monitors in a 15'L room and you're seated 25% (worse yet, 50%) of the way into the room, you WILL be sitting right in the middle of a room mode. Now, you can add or cut based on what you "know" about your room to compensate, but it's always a guessing game.

Like most things, I think the truth lies in a compromise between the two things. Get the best monitoring chain you can afford, then mix in the best space you can afford.

Did you pick a Greek word for your user name on purpose? That's an interesting one...

Frank

There's a certain part of that that makes sense...as long as you're listening at low volumes and sitting close, then the room becomes less influential. Of course, if you're sitting that close you're going to end up with some stereo field distortions...and at very low volume it's tough to get all the detail that you'd get at more reasonable volume levels, but it can be done.

thats why i add sennhiser hd600 headphones as well with both of these I pretty much know where I stand on some premixing

Where I would draw the line is saying that the room is unimportant as long as you learn your monitoring chain. It's simple physics at work...if you play broad band program material from a good pair of 8" monitors in a 15'L room and you're seated 25% (worse yet, 50%) of the way into the room, you WILL be sitting right in the middle of a room mode. Now, you can add or cut based on what you "know" about your room to compensate, but it's always a guessing game.

if you listen to 50 cds in that same mix spot over and over and have ways to check on multiple monitors it can be done. I agree on 8 inch monitors that's why I use 6 1/2 and killer headphones less room gets in the way. I wouldn't dream of using 8 inch monitors in a small room without some bass traps.

Did you pick a Greek word for your user name on purpose? That's an interesting one...

yes I did it means slave or servent. I've always felt that people should lead by example and not think of themselves as to highly or superior if that makes any sense, or as christ would put it whoever wants to be great among you must be your servant

Last edited:
if you listen to 50 cds in that same mix spot over and over and have ways to check on multiple monitors it can be done. I agree on 8 inch monitors that's why I use 6 1/2 and killer headphones less room gets in the way. I wouldn't dream of using 8 inch monitors in a small room without some bass traps.

I agree that it can be done. It's not ideal, but with a lot of practice and a very good ear it can be done.

yes I did it means slave or servent. I've always felt that people should lead by example and not think of themselves as to highly or superior if that makes any sense, or as christ would put it whoever wants to be great among you must be your servant

Yep...I've been working in Greek for years. Koine first, then working back to classical Greek. You're right...that's a good word. :)

Frank

Back