Crazy CPU Overload

soundprizm

Hey guys... Never had this problem before. Have any of you?

I'm in my squencer mixing... the cpu meter in the program is maybe at 30%. I start up my mix and then maybe like 5-10 seconds into the song, it starts crackling and I see the metter slowly go allll the way up, and the sound stops, hard disk meter overloads, then goes back to playing. I can't mix like this!!!

Any ideas?

i get this shit in protools sometimes when i would do all my work in punch mode. I finally concluded the cpu was working hard to load up all the punches on and off ram. now i only work in punch mode when i have to.

Thanks for the replies...

I'm using a bunch of plugins... but why the jump from 30% to overload? Also... It happens right in the middle of a verse, same things goin' on. It's not like I jump from 10 plugins to 20 right where it happens. :confused:

I dunno... more ram? Faster CPU? Oh, I have an AMD 2600+ over clocked at 3200+... 384 meg of ddram...

soundprizm said:
Hey guys... Never had this problem before. Have any of you?

I'm in my squencer mixing... the cpu meter in the program is maybe at 30%. I start up my mix and then maybe like 5-10 seconds into the song, it starts crackling and I see the metter slowly go allll the way up, and the sound stops, hard disk meter overloads, then goes back to playing. I can't mix like this!!!

Any ideas?

Looks like your disk is struggling to keep refreshing the buffers in time.
Have you tried increasing the number of buffers?

Hmmmmm... Ok, I increased the buffer size from 512 to 768. Was that want you meant? The buffer size from within the app? That didn't work, same exact thing.

You may be using a paticular plug thats hogging resources.
See if you can isolate it by bypassing them one at a time.

I had that problem with cubase when I had my music on the same ATA100 drive as my O/S and audio software.

I bought an ATA133 7200rpm 80gig drive for recording to only and I never get that problem any more, never seen it go over 15% with 20+ tracks

I'm running an AMD 1800+ with 512Meg PC2100 DDR (Kingston)

I've had the same problem with Cakewalk and as Bulls Hit eluded to, the disk couldn't keep up. I tried adjusting the buffer size which had minimal effect. I should also add that I was recording at the highest sampling rate of my soundcard 96Hz and my machine choked. I dropped it down to 44.1 which had a minimal impact on sound quality (to my ear) but had a major impact on my PC's performance. Life is good at 24bit, 44.1Hz. Just my $0.02.

soundprizm said:
Hmmmmm... Ok, I increased the buffer size from 512 to 768. Was that want you meant? The buffer size from within the app? That didn't work, same exact thing.

No, I mean increase the NUMBER of buffers, not the size. If your disk is the bottleneck, more buffers give a better chance of 'keeping up'

Ok... I've everything mentioned except the NUMBER OF BUFFERS thing. Where and how would I do that?

Thanks for all the replies guys... much appreciated. :)

What app are you using?

Somewhere in your audio options there'll be a latency adjustment allowing you to increase or decrease the number of audio buffers.

Bear in mind when you increase the number of buffers, you'll also increase the latency

do you happen to be using d-verb? if so, the "room 2" algorithm has a glitch and will take up your whole cpu. There are a few other known plugins with bugs like that.

Hey... Bulls Hit, I'm using Nuendo 2.0 and can't find the buffer number anywhere, just the buffer size. Seems to only be in the ASIO control panel.

I'm also not using d-verb...

Thanks for the input guys... Damn computers :rolleyes:

Back