Craving Class

Editor

Thought I'd post this here cuz guitar/bass players are smarter than everyone else ;-)

As I age; or as the rum sets to working ;-) ...I notice I like to listen to classy music. It's one of those "I don't know art but I know what I like" kind of questions.

Here's what I like:

~ muted trumpets & otherwise brass instruments as often heard in the opening aerial shots of Clint Eastwood movies

~ beaty/sexy/saxy/funky/slow tunes

~ no vocals (OK Sade is alright) but basically I believe that 'singing' is fundamentally 'shouting' & therefore not necessary in music

~ age/era is not a boundry ... if the Buddy Rich Band did it .. Cool ... if Cher did it ...well, let's not get too carried away ;-) ...

Before this starts sounding too much like a singles ad, does anyone know what I am talking about? Could you recommend some artists to a guy what spent way too much time in R & B/metal/wedding band/top 40 to pay attention to what else is/was out there?

Art Pepper "Meets The Rhythm Section" and "Eleven Jazz Classics", Miles, Coltrane, Joey Defrancesco if you like Hammond B-3, Bruce Hornsby's "Hothouse" (not really slow, but extremely tight!), Ellington, Billie Holiday, Ben Webster, Lester Young, Dave Brubeck.

Man, there's about 80 years of great jazz out there to dig through!:D

You may want to check out Derek Trucks Band. I just saw them last night and they were very good. You should also check out Al Dimeola (probably not spelled right). They are both very excellent jazz guitarists.

If you get a chance to see Dayna Kurtz it would be advisable. She opened for DTB last night and I was very impressed with her. I picked up her CD after the show, but I was not real impressed with that. It was very bassy and needed to be mixed better. But she has an excellent voice (deep jazzy type), and has a stage presence that was excellent. She carried the room for an hour and I didn't see anyone move. I will see her again.

Wes Montgomery is an excellent jazz guitarist. I recommend "The Incredible Jazz Guitar". I have yet to hear a jazz record that I like better (that's an opinion, everyone--if you have any recommendations for me, put 'em up here).

Also, since you mention horns and spaghetti western soundtracks, one can never overlook The Ventures without missing something.

...And check out some classical music, as well. It's always accessible and rarely boring when you're "seeking something to actively listen to".

Somewhere else to look for stuff is satelite or digital cable. The music stations are something I listen to a good bit. When you hear what you like, you can get the titles right off the screen. Sometimes I just record to the reel to reel (so 70ish) and record like 6 hours worth to play later.

Thanks people :-) Not like I haven't been paying attention--I know there's a wealth of great music out there but I was worried that my tastes might be turning towards (UGHHH!) New Age or something :-(

No, I'm just looking for a style(s) that I can listen too without trying to figure out the chord progressions to, know what I mean?

Also, since you mention horns and spaghetti western soundtracks, one can never overlook The Ventures without missing something.
No, no, no, no, no. Not the 'Fist Full 'O Dollars' Eastwood--the 'Dirty Harry' Eastwood :-) You know, the opening helicopter shot...flying into Los Angeles...~muted~ trumpet ala Miles?

The Ventures? I think I still have the double album with the chord charts in it :-) 'Walk Don't Run' always a good tune :-)

B3? Yeah c7sus, right up my alley. Thanks for reminding me :-)

Great recommendations all around :-)

Well - what a fun time you are in for . . .

Start with Steely Dan (yeah - vocals), then Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' would be good. Then there is a series of CDs from 'Verve' called 'Jazz 'round Midnight' that features the major names - Bill Evans, Stan Getz et al . . .

Happy hunting

!!

Derek Trucks Band is great listening! As is Karl Denson's Tiny Universe (my guitarist ALWAYS wears a KDTU shirt lol).

I've been listening to a LOT of Stuart Hamm recently... More fusion-y than jazzy, but still, great GREAT material! I'd suggest "Outbound", "...Remember", "The Tenacity Of Genes And Dreams", and "The Castro Shuffle", all off of the album "Outbound"... "Radio Free Albemuth", "Flow My Tears", "Dr. Gradus Ad Parnasum", "Sexually Active" off of "Radio Free Albemuth", and "Terminal Beach", "Surely The Best", and "Count Zero" off of "Kings Of Sleep"...

I know it's kinda' a lot, but those are some of the more outstanding tracks in my book... some of 'em are a bit rockish, but it's all great stuff.

Weather Report
Especially their 1977 release - Heavy Weather

Wayne Shorter on Sax
Jaco Pastorius on Bass
Joe Zawinul on Keys
Jaco Pastorius on Bass
Alex Acuña on Drums and Percussion
Jaco Pastorius on Bass

Jazz Fusion clinic.
Uptempo, medium, and slow numbers.

Back