Crate GT1200 or Marshall MG100hdfx

distortedrumble

all up in yo grill!
as soon as i sell my half stack for more recording equipment people start asking me to play shows. so should i go for the Crate GT1200 or the Marshall MG100hdfx? pros and cons of either please. price tag is 700 total but i may go to 800 or 900 and thats pushing it. help please? please note that the price is for the head and the cab

I have the mg100hdfx. and i like it. i have heard the crate g1200 and i don't think its as good. without this thread, i would go with anything marshall over crate, im not a big crate fan. it just seems like everything crate i use doesn't compare. i like the verb, delays, chorus', and flange fx on the marshall. its got a nice clean channel and a great sounding distortion. i think its more of a live amp though, i've tried to use mine a few times in my studio and it has never sounded as good as other higher grade marshalls. hope this helps

I've recorded almost all the crate stuff from the cheapest crap up to the blue voodoos and didn't like any of them. I had a band come in recently and choose his mg100 over my avt50 and honestly I liked the sound he dialed in, it was really thick and crunchy and came out really nice but honestly man the sound thing is up to you, you'll probably get better build quality with marshall but smaller prices with crate.

I have an older MG15(pre-FDD and pre-DSP) with a real spring reverb in it. It's the one with the dual gain knobs. I like it alot! The speaker has actually been busted, but i simply plug it into my 12" celestion in my line6, and it gets even better. I wouldn't believe the newer ones would be worse, but this one is great, especially for the price i paid for it(like ~$30).

Of course that's a smaller model, and you're talking about a gigging amp. I think once you get to the price range of the larger MG's, there are better options for the money.

Why these two models in particular? Why a halfstack at all? A smaller combo might fit you better and go easier on the pocketbook.

StudioMxpx said:
Mgs suck..so does crate..im just saying my opinion

leave the one-liners to comedy....the least you could do is explain your reasoning. or better yet, just dont say anything

jonnyc said:
I've recorded almost all the crate stuff from the cheapest crap up to the blue voodoos and didn't like any of them. I had a band come in recently and choose his mg100 over my avt50 and honestly I liked the sound he dialed in, it was really thick and crunchy and came out really nice but honestly man the sound thing is up to you, you'll probably get better build quality with marshall but smaller prices with crate.

yeah i was looking at the avt50....i can get the half stack mg100hdfx for the price of one avt150. what kind of differences did you notice between the two

prestomation said:
I have an older MG15(pre-FDD and pre-DSP) with a real spring reverb in it. It's the one with the dual gain knobs. I like it alot! The speaker has actually been busted, but i simply plug it into my 12" celestion in my line6, and it gets even better. I wouldn't believe the newer ones would be worse, but this one is great, especially for the price i paid for it(like ~$30).

Of course that's a smaller model, and you're talking about a gigging amp. I think once you get to the price range of the larger MG's, there are better options for the money.

Why these two models in particular? Why a halfstack at all? A smaller combo might fit you better and go easier on the pocketbook.

when going up against a bass stack and a loud drummer....its almost a necessity. plus, when it comes to certain styles/sounds...I'd just rather have the half stack. the angry growling music needs a half stack....i could walk in there with a 2x12 but it doesnt come out on the same level. metal and rock kinda come out the same way....as for pop rock, i can use a smaller amp.

I think the avt is a much better quality than the mg series. The clean is amazing and the distortion is what'd you'd expect from marshall, I've heard some negative things about the 150's build quality but my 50 is holding up and is very loud.

distortedrumble said:
thats something i didnt think about really...what about it didnt you like on the recordings
It didnt have the sparkle to it, that higher grade marshalls have. even on the distortion channel, when recorded it sounded muddy to me, after messing with setting and all. i love the amp though.

Back