Crate blue voodoo

mx_mx

Anybody know where I can get a bv120h delivered to Australia from? And more importantly, anybody ever used one? Comments on it?

mx_mx said:
Anybody know where I can get a bv120h delivered to Australia from? And more importantly, anybody ever used one? Comments on it?

I had one in the studio for a few months. Wasn't bad at all, by far the best Crate amp out right now.

I play through a Crate BV-120H and I think it's a great amp. I've gone through many sub-$700 amp heads and this is the first one I have kept for more than a couple of months. I recommend changing out the tubes for a custom set for more gain and a smoother and warmer sound.

I'm not sure about the Australia thing though.

I definatley agree with johnnyc, best crate amp. I played through one at a friend house. Cranked her up, and sounded pretty good. Tube powered isn't it? Not a JCM, but very usable.

KingDiamond said:
I play through a Crate BV-120H and I think it's a great amp. I've gone through many sub-$700 amp heads and this is the first one I have kept for more than a couple of months. I recommend changing out the tubes for a custom set for more gain and a smoother and warmer sound.

I'm not sure about the Australia thing though.
Thanks King. I'm actually looking forward to customizing it, if I can eventually find one here...can't really do anything with my solid state amp that I have now

my friend had one for about 2 years, and one show it just stopped working.. he took it to a shop and they fixed it, but i havent asked what happened.

reliability? im not sure.. unfortunately, it's still a crate

sound? mix it with 1960A/B cab and it will sound like a marshall, but for $750 new

i recently bought mine, not the black version, the older blue version (hence the name "blue" voodoo. took the face plate off and the tubes shine beautifully, so looks even better than a marshall

i paid 400 bucks for mine, very good deal for a tube head.. couldnt even get the cheapest marshall that sounds like an ostrich's anus for $400

I don't have any experience with the blue voodoo, but I do have a crate modeling amp (dx112) that has the blue voodoo as one of its models. Obviously, the model doesn't quite get the real tube sound, but it is definitely a usable tone. Solid clean tone, with pretty tight distortion at higher gain.

grindpaul said:
i recently bought mine, not the black version, the older blue version (hence the name "blue" voodoo. took the face plate off and the tubes shine beautifully, so looks even better than a marshall
I don't want to discourage your love for the Crate, but the "lights" are indeed a couple of orange LEDs, not the tube's elements lighting up...!

TheDewd said:
I don't want to discourage your love for the Crate, but the "lights" are indeed a couple of orange LEDs, not the tube's elements lighting up...!

No tubes in a tube amp actually glow. That's what a tube is supposed to do, now "toobs" need leds. Not to mention I actually had a blue voodoo for a few months and thouroghly checked it over.

Back