crate 210 with power amp?

jasgav

Ok so I bought a friends crate 2-10 with horn (mostly for use at home with a power block and a cd player practice) but when he brought it over I notice it has what I think is a power amp build in! Is this common for speakers to have pre amps like this? What was crate thinking…? So my real question here is… guitar  pod 2.0  power block Cd player  power block (speaker output bridged) crate 210 with power amp; (says on back 220 output) does that mean it’s a 220 watt solid state power amp? I’ll looked all over the net and can’t find a info on this model. I’ll post the model number when I get back home. I also was hoping someone could tell me if I’m damaging the 210 in any way with this set up?
Thanks

If it has a built-in power amp (it would have an AC power cord that you would have to plug into the wall), then DO NOT plug the output of another power amp into it. Just plug the pod into it and your done.

What is the model # on the crate?

is there a way to bypass the amp part and use only the cab part?
I'm not so gifted when it comes to electronic however I have soddered before...

jasgav said:
is there a way to bypass the amp part and use only the cab part?
I'm not so gifted when it comes to electronic however I have soddered before...
Why would you need to? Just use it's amp instead of yours. I'm sure your friend would not want you to start monkeying around with his powered cabinet.

You might want to look at the manual to see if there is a bypass.

Anfontan said:
The piezo tweeter is an odd addition, not sure how long it would last under that wattage.
Ampeg has been putting tweeters in their bass cabinets for over 10 years now. With bass, there just isn't that much signal in that range. The tweeters don't blow.

Farview said:
Ampeg has been putting tweeters in their bass cabinets for over 10 years now. With bass, there just isn't that much signal in that range. The tweeters don't blow.

Okay, I just remember the Ampegs cabinets from 25 years ago, all I remembered was those mothers were Heavy as Hell when it was time to move them! Especially up & down stairways........ :eek:

The cabinets are still heavy, but they make more than just the 810's. most of the 410's have tweeters in them. You can turn them off if you want. I think Mesa 410 bass cabinets have tweeters as well. (carvin too)

Back