Crash recovery

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
My system recently crashed hard... I am up and running again, but my internet has slowed down to an absurd speed... I fall asleep waiting for my home page to load... I am running Win98 with IE5.
Anyone have a clue why???

Dammit S8N, will you just do what I told you, *wipe your hard drive clean, reformat, then reinstall windows* if you already have then nevermind. Reinstalling windows over a bad install or crashed windows, in my opinion, does nothing to help what was wrong the first place. I dont know, I may be wrong.

ametth

dammit S8-N ...will you just read my last post in the censorship thread in the dragon cave...then read my healthy OS tips in the "windows98 vs NT" thread in this forum.. :D

- eddie -

Eddie, no offense, but your healthy OS tips are a bit paranoid overkill, in my not to be humble opinion. :p

- ametth -

[This message has been edited by ametth (edited 02-11-2000).]

I did wipe the HD... Now my computer performs like a Commodore 64...

What's a Commodore 64? (I've been abroad a long time.) I don't think I like the sound of a Commodore 64...

Ah, the old Commode Door. This was an early computing device from Canada that had the entire computer built into a keyboard. It used a Motorola CPU that was truly 8 bits running at just a hair under 1 MHz. It had no HD, but for extra money you could get an external floppy drive that held a whopping 185 KB on a single 5 1/4" floppy disc. That's when a floppy was REALLY floppy. Standard memory space was 64 KB, but a good portion of this was really ROM. The entire O/S was in ROM so the boot process was instantaneous.
The video circuit used a standard NTSC TV as the monitor. It even had a sound chip with a FM synth but no digital audio I/O.
Mine still works last time I checked!

Hey SN
Some times after a crash you not only have to reformat the hard drive but you may have to run fdisk on it to get things back into 32bit mode. This is because some crashes are so damaging that they screw up the primary partician. This WILL slow the system down like you are stating.

1: boot the computer from floppy
2: run fdisk from floppy
3: rmove the partician with fdisk
4: shut down and turn power off for 15 sec.
5: boot computer from floppy
6: run fdisk from floppy
7: Set partician and make it active.
8: shut down and turn power off.
9: reboot from floppy
10: at the command prompt type format c:/u/s
when you are done with this you can run you windows set up program..

GOOD LUCK

Ya, that's right, I edited it. You little choad fellatin' armidillo. What's with these choad fellatin' passwords? Capital letter, small letter, capital letter, number, letter...

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 02-12-2000).]

Back