Crappy electric drum set advice

Milkfaj

I want to buy an electric drumset- strictly as a toy, so i dont care how good it is. in fact, i want a cheap one. does anyone know of any brands or specific kits that might be available cheap? maybe something from the 80s or early 90s? I know that digital technology like that gets outdated fast, and im wondering what some options are. I dont want to spend more that 300-400 bucks.

Milkfaj said:
I want to buy an electric drumset- strictly as a toy, so i dont care how good it is. in fact, i want a cheap one. does anyone know of any brands or specific kits that might be available cheap? maybe something from the 80s or early 90s? I know that digital technology like that gets outdated fast, and im wondering what some options are. I dont want to spend more that 300-400 bucks.

You might be able to pick up and old Roland TD-5 for around $400... But they're probably closer to $500 day to day (translated: 'Ebay' ;) ) I think some of the first Yamaha's are in your price range too...

Some of the earlier sets (the old Tama, Roland, Casio, Simmons, etc) will be cheaper, but I'm pretty sure you'll grow tired of tweaking knobs trying to dial in the sounds you're looking for on each drum...
At least with the TD-5, you've got the luxury of decent sounding pre-sets (and plenty of em)

Good luck!

:)

thanks! TD-5 sounds good but- im glad you dropped the name simmons. I actually love turning knobs and ive seen those old hex drum pads in old 80's music videos- and theyre cheap! like less than $200 from what ive seen so far on ebay.

There are a few down sides to the Simmons:

1. No MIDI - so you can use them to control other modules
2. Very dated electronic sounds
3. Those hard pads are very, very hard to play for an extended period of time (I often compared it to playing a formica counter top).

You may be better off spending $400-$500 for a used TD5 or Yamaha Express then $200 for a Simmons

Pacific Digital has some cheap drums (<$100) but they lack midi (the midi version is around $300 so at that point get a near-pro/serious amateur rig) and audio quality might not be too hot...

also consider the Yamaha DD-55 - not a kit per say but has decent tones, rubber pads, foot pedals, and midi for around $230

otherwise the ebay advise is probably your best bet...

Back