Crackling sound on playback

soullavee

Hi All,
I'm using Cubase LE4 and whenever i play back a song i hear a crackling sound, like a niddle on vinyl kinda sound. none of the tracks is peaking nor does the overall output also, the VST performance is about 70%. the cracklings seem to come out louder when i use some kind or compressor/limiter or delay. has anyone here ever encountered a problem like that? would someone here know what could be the problem? any help/suggestion will be highly appreciated:-)

Thanks in advance,

Hello there, that is usually a Sound Card problem, Press F12, it will pop up a small window with the CPU performance, and then play the song. Is the bar of the small window peaking? if "yes" then probably the sound card is not set properly.

Go to Device Setup --> VST Audio System (left side of the window)
Check the ASIO Driver set on the right side of the window. It should be your Sound Card. Usually, when you haven't set this, it's by default on "Asio Direct X Full Duplex Audio", but the latency is very high. Change it to your Sound Card and everything should be ok. Lower latency and no peaking noises.

If the problem is not solve with this, maybe your computer is a little old and can't handle the plug ins you are using.

Let me know if you solve the problem.

Thanks Zero, as mentioned in my original post, the VST performance[CPU] is at about 70% however, i've just noticed it also happening when i lift the EQ these crackling also ocurs, and whenever i touch any slider, the crackls will sound upon movement. i had 1gig of RAM and ordered another gig to make it 2. i'm using an Edirol sound card[external] with high performance capacity. i will see what happens once the RAM is upgraded. any more ideas??
Thanks heaps for the reply:-)
PS: all the actions you've suggested, i've already done prior to posting this Thread..

Another thing i forgot to mention, i use a 3Gh duel core processor, so i don't think it's a hardware issue as such:-)

Only thing I can think of is a problem with your soundcard not handling your latency settings.

Mess around with the latency, increase it to se if it goes away. The only time this has happened to me is when I was running at very low latency with lots of plugins, but different systems can handle different settings so try some changes and see what works.

Hi, when i set my buffer size to 128 or less i have that cranckling when i move the cursor or move the knobs, but if i set it at 256, the cranckling goes away. Try that and let us know what happens.

Cheers

IT WORKED!! AMAZING!! i lowered the Latency by 50% and the crackling stopped and got more CPU power....thanks Zero:-)

Back