Crackling Pickup?

Cult_Status02

Hey guys, I just bought a Mexican Telecaster at Guitar Center and started playing it a bit and it seems something's wrong with the pickup nearest the neck, it's all crackly. I'm not much of a guitar player, but I fell in love with the tele's sound so I had to buy one. In the file, I start with the pickup closest to the bridge and then switch the switch to the middle and finally the neck pickup. You can hear the crackling starting from the middle to the neck.

Because I know so little about guitars, I was wondering what may be causing this, is it something I can fix myself, or should I just pick up a different one at GC?

Thanks for any help.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=5832

Bring it back, straight away, if it's possible. Yes, you probably could fix this yourself, but why should you have to? It's a brand new instrument, so take it back and don't take no shit from them, either.

Good luck with it.

You know, I think I'll just take it back. It didn't look like they had any more white ones, but it's just for studio work, and I like the red/maroon ones, too.
At least now 32-20 has let me know it's not normal, thanks :)

Cult_Status02 said:
Hey guys, I just bought a Mexican Telecaster at Guitar Center and started playing it a bit and it seems something's wrong with the pickup nearest the neck, it's all crackly. I'm not much of a guitar player, but I fell in love with the tele's sound so I had to buy one. In the file, I start with the pickup closest to the bridge and then switch the switch to the middle and finally the neck pickup. You can hear the crackling starting from the middle to the neck.

Because I know so little about guitars, I was wondering what may be causing this, is it something I can fix myself, or should I just pick up a different one at GC?

Thanks for any help.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=5832

It sounds like something isn't grounded in the guitar circuit, take it back for sure, I doubt they have a tech to look at it there though. So trade it for a different one and you have learned something to watch out for in a guitar, bad internal connections!

Anfontan said:
It sounds like something isn't grounded in the guitar circuit, take it back for sure, I doubt they have a tech to look at it there though. So trade it for a different one and you have learned something to watch out for in a guitar, bad internal connections!

Yep, that's what I reckon. I've seen so many new Squiers with this problem, but not many Mexican guitars - I thought the quality control was higher. Having said that, I recently looked inside my American strat, and was surprised at the level of untidiness when it came to the wiring. I guess the message is that Fender - like every guitar maker - occasionally lets a few 'Monday guitars' slip by.

Back