Cracked? Sorry - dumb question

PhiloBeddoe

I found an offer in the used market for Waves SSL bundle. The seller claims that the software is new from a going out of business sale, but says he has it in PC version only. No Mac.

I use PC, but I have no interest in cracked software. Is the 'PC only' comment a sign that it's cracked?

Sorry I'm clueless about this stuff.

No, it being a PC only software is not a sign that it is cracked....There is seperate software that runs on Mac and PC, very few if any Programs are PC and Mac compatible in the Same software Package...They generally have different versions for PC and Mac software.....

Cheers

Minion said:
No, it being a PC only software is not a sign that it is cracked....There is seperate software that runs on Mac and PC, very few if any Programs are PC and Mac compatible in the Same software Package...They generally have different versions for PC and Mac software.....

Cheers

I've seen packages with software for multiple platforms a few times. A big example would be Cubase.

PhiloBeddoe: looking at the Waves Website, it appears they have version of the SSL package for three platforms: PC, Mac and Intel-based Mac.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I thought that there were only TDM and Native (PC&Mac in the same package), but it wasn't obvious to me.

I pushed the seller a little more and he offered either a legit version at $700 and a cracked version for $250 so I'm not going to deal with this guy. I'm a little curious what kind of business is closing, but I think I'm not going to pursue this further. I'm sure I could negotiate the same legit price at GC or wherever.

PhiloBeddoe said:
I pushed the seller a little more and he offered either a legit version at $700 and a cracked version for $250 so I'm not going to deal with this guy.
I don't blame you.You should be able to extort it for much cheaper by threatening to turn him in! :)

Minion said:
There is seperate software that runs on Mac and PC, very few if any Programs are PC and Mac compatible in the Same software Package

Nonsense.

Every audio app I bought in the last year has had both PC and Mac versions on the same installation media. Products I bought include NI softsynths, both Korg Legacy Collections and Cubase.

tell him your brother in law is an anti-piracy advocate lawyer and you are going to turn him in if he does not sell you the legit copy for $100 including a registration transfer!

and AFAIK, most if not all plugin packs, including waves are Mac/PC together, only difference being, as you mentioned, TDM/Native.

PhiloBeddoe said:
I pushed the seller a little more and he offered either a legit version at $700 and a cracked version for $250 so I'm not going to deal with this guy.
I hope there's a special level in Hell for him and his type.

Haha! Sounds like one guy we had over to give us a quote on finishing our basement -
His first question was "would you like this to code or not to code?"

Well, as far as building code, that's a decent question because a lot of people don't want to do all the permitting necessary to have their basement up to code in the city/county tax records. Any legit builder will build to code either way, but if the owner doesn't want it, they will not do all the paperwork.

Most home owners, by the way, do not do permits on additions/upgrades to their homes, due to the extra taxes that will cost them.

I do think this is different than software pirates, who are really just petty (or not so petty) thieves.

Hey Albert, if you've got some hidden patio or bathroom we should know about, you'd better come clean. We want our tax money! Oh wait, it's not youor built-on studio IS IT??!! Sorry, no permit, no studio. We're gonna hafta tear it down. LOL;)

No, I don't have any hidden rooms or unpermitted spaces! I just bought this house half a year ago and don't have the money for any of that fun stuff yet! My brother, on the other hand, is a maniac about building out his house to the max. He permitted his house last time, but this time is not, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Back