cpus

pcp

is anybody in here up on building custom recording/productions machines? i havent built one since i did this one a couple years ago but i got two clients who want me to build them a cpu and im not really up on all the new parts. i cant believe they have quad-core processors out already. anyways if theres anybody that has experience with this i could use some help.

Get a price range first. Because you may need to bend that price range.

After hitting up the price range, hop over to newegg.com and get all the manditory parts, and then hit over some music site for extras. Ask what they want, list and I can help out. I'm a computer tech so I know whats good and whats not, initially.

Best of luck. I'll check back frequently if you still need assistance.

--Re-Lapse

ive already been on new egg and got the parts list...it came out to around $1000, which is right around the budget i was given for each system. i want go with the quad-core, have you had any experience with them yet? are there any reported problems with the current versions of cubase or reason on windows vista? also, does anyone have a recommended MIDI controller for reason 3. im looking for something all-inclusive with faders and keys. it seems im off my game because i havent been up on any of the new hardware or computer parts...thats mainly where i need help. i just want to build a reliable system thats gonna still be relevant in a year or two. thanks for your help.

ive already been on new egg and got the parts list...it came out to around $1000, which is right around the budget i was given for each system. i want go with the quad-core, have you had any experience with them yet? are there any reported problems with the current versions of cubase or reason on windows vista? also, does anyone have a recommended MIDI controller for reason 3. im looking for something all-inclusive with faders and keys. it seems im off my game because i havent been up on any of the new hardware or computer parts...thats mainly where i need help. i just want to build a reliable system thats gonna still be relevant in a year or two. thanks for your help.

Honestly, the quad core is great. But, in my opinion, I'm sticking with the AMD x2 processors. They run cooler, and faster in my experience. As for vista, it aint even worth it to see if they have any problems.. just get xp and put it on there, thats your best bet.

As for the rest of that, i'm not sure. Someone will post.

--Re-Lapse

AMD x2 or Intel Core 2 Duo will do just fine. forget quad-cores. the Intel's actually run cooler, but i've always liked AMD anyhow.

i'd definitely suggest 2 hard drives (one for storage/archive/backup); video card isn't mandatory for a music-only system, as long as the mobo supports on-board video; XP Pro - not Vista; like Re-Lapse said, head to a music site for your sound card (zzsounds, musiciansfriend, etc etc); i'm not sure if M-Audio is compatible w/ Reason, but i like their MIDI boards. m-audio.com for that.

hope we helped.

you should post links to your system parts and i'll let you know if they're good. ;)

AMD x2 or Intel Core 2 Duo will do just fine. forget quad-cores. the Intel's actually run cooler, but i've always liked AMD anyhow.

i'd definitely suggest 2 hard drives (one for storage/archive/backup); video card isn't mandatory for a music-only system, as long as the mobo supports on-board video; XP Pro - not Vista; like Re-Lapse said, head to a music site for your sound card (zzsounds, musiciansfriend, etc etc); i'm not sure if M-Audio is compatible w/ Reason, but i like their MIDI boards. m-audio.com for that.

hope we helped.

you should post links to your system parts and i'll let you know if they're good. ;)

Word brotha!

--Re-Lapse

Back