CPU's, Speed/Temperature/Noise

Synkrotron

OK, nearly got my new DAW up to speed.

Dew to many many problems with stuff functioning and then not functioning, some of it my fault and some quite unexplainable it's taken me nearly 30 man hours to get to this stage... and I've still not got all my software installed.

Anyways... enough of all that.

As some of you already know, I've gone the Pentium route for a change and settle, after much deliberation, on the Pentium 4 630 which is a 3.0 Ghz chip. I was a bit worried about the running temperature of the chip having read a few articles suggesting that the newer generation of Pentiums where running even hotter than the AMDs. With that in mind I chose my heat sink and fan carefully but was even more worried when I opened the CPU box... the stock fan was massive... never seen such a large stock fan before! I thought "hey up... if the stock fan is this big then there MUST be a problem with CPU temperature".

I am pleased to say that, up to now I am not experiencing any problems related to temperature at all.

My AMD XP2600+, when idle, ran at around 38/40 deg C and when I loaded the CPU up to 100% usage that temperature would creep ever so slightly over 50 deg C.

When I got my new system powered up I was very impressed with the low noise level of the HSF, an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (an impressive sounding name which I just had to doubt but was gladly proved wrong).

Last night, once I got Sonar loaded, I ran a few tests.

At idle my CPU ran at around 36/38 deg C. Under full load it ran at around 45 deg C, but never any hotter than that. So is that bad? Good? Average? What should Pentium 4 630's be running at? Are the 600 series CPU's considered NOT to be the newer Pentiums?

I must admit that I do have my DAW installed in what I am beginning to realise is a well ventilated acoustic enclosure (home made of course) with two fans, one sucking and one blowing, each in their own compartment (you'd be better off reading this for more details). So the air is helped rather nicely through my DAW case and is helped further by removing the front fachia panel on the case.

That's pretty much it for now. I'll be running more tests over the coming week to see how my RME Hammerfall sound card fits in with all this new technology.

andy

My old Athlon XP 2000+ got hot as hell (idle @ 45, peak at near 60) but it survived 3 years of intensive use and still works today.

My new Opteron 240 (1.4ghz, runs about as fast as the 2000+) makes less noise, idles at 32 and peaks at 45. But honestly, I can't say I've noticed the temp making a difference in how long the thing lives, or the performance. I do feel a little saver now, though.

I can't comment on the pentiums at all.

I overclocked an AMD2600 to 2.5G and it ran at 39C. I'd say anywhere under 60C is decent for any CPU under a load, but even the same makes and models are going to show different results at different temperatures. The best test is to boot up your PC and run the hell out of it, be it your recording software with tons of plugins going, or the newest popular game of the week. Just run the ever loving hell out of it and note the temperature when/if you notice a decrease in performance.

Creamyapples1 said:
I overclocked an AMD2600 to 2.5G and it ran at 39C. I'd say anywhere under 60C is decent for any CPU under a load, but even the same makes and models are going to show different results at different temperatures. The best test is to boot up your PC and run the hell out of it, be it your recording software with tons of plugins going, or the newest popular game of the week. Just run the ever loving hell out of it and note the temperature when/if you notice a decrease in performance.

I notice in your sig that you're also using a Pentium... I was wondering if I was the only one ;)

Sounds like I'm OK temperature wise though.

Last night I was messing about in Sonar and I was able to get the program to grind to a halt by adding loads of Pantheon effects to a couple of the tracks and busses... and I've been setting loop points in one of my test tracks and left it playing, almost up to 70% CPU load for thirty minutes and providing I didn't do anything else, Sonar played on...

still loads more to do though before I get serious again

Yeah, Pentium is decent enough. Wasn't by choice, I just happened to have the parts laying around when I decided to build a seperate PC for recording, which isn't totally a bad thing, but if I had my way I'd have gone AMD64. I have an AMD box too, with the 2600 OC'd and 6600GT, for gaming and everyday use.

Back