cpu usage while idling

bdemenil

I noticed something funny in cubase. CPU usage does not appear to change between when the song is playing and when it is stopped. So if I load up with plugins and amusing say 50% of my cpu - that remains constant whether playing or stopped. If I bypass plugins - it immediately goes down. I imagine this could cause heat issues (and energy consumption) if you walk away and leave your workstation for a couple hours - the whole time the cpu will be cranking as if it were playing and processing those plugins.

I would generally turn my PC off if I was going to leave it for a couple of hours. But then, I have to pay an electricity bill so I'm kinda concious of stuff like that.

The plugins on mine continue to process when Cubase sits idle. I first noticed this when I had noise on the meters when the song wasn't playing. I tracked it down and it was a plugin I had set with the distortion level too high.

I think reverbs tend to be the biggest killer in my experience. Would be good if there was button you could press to switch them all off at once. I guess it can be a pain in the ass when doing editing work and stuff too when I think about it, if your CPU is being caned by plugs you aren't using at that point in time.

Back