CPU Usage outrage!

jrlemonz

I know this can't be right. I use Nuendo, and have recently had problems with using lots of plugins/eq. The damnt hign skips a lot. I never really gave much thought to it, cause I've always had the problem. Thign is, I forget to think about how I now own a PIII800, and not the AMD350. I look at the "VST Performance" in Nuendo when playing back, and its going crazy, and the disk usage is at 0. This doesn't seem right. What am I doing wrong? What do I have set up wrong? I use a PIII800 w/ a ASUS CUV4X MB, 128 meg ram, 8 gig 5400rpm drive that runs Nuendo and Windows, and 20 gig 7200rpm that I record onto. I have maybe 6 or 7 plugins running, and 4 or 5 channels with EQ. 10 channels or so are playing back when it's skipping. If I put Magneto on the main inserts, it won't play back anything mor ethen like 2 seconds in between skips. Without it, I can have like 10-15 secs. Something has to be wrong, or upgrading didn't do all that much for me.

Jake

I don't know about Nuendo, but Cubase likes a lot of RAM, maybe 128 isn't enough?
Also try messing with your buffer settings and see if you can get the usage down.

Good Luck

Even though its a cool plugin Magneto is the biggest CPU hog of them all. It seems to be about twice the hog of the RCL compressor. And yes some RAM would help. Welcome to host based computer recording.

yeah, im upping to 256 this week. and I started putting magneto on afterwards in wavelab, works much better. still seems like something is weird though, oh well. i'll tolerate it. minimalistic effects here i come!

one more thing, nuendo has the effects send options, so i don't have to put a seperate reverb on each track, just use the same one on all the tracks i want it on. would that be a smaller CPU usage then if i put the reverb on every track individually? either way it has to process the tracks through the reverb.

Jake

Yes. If you load multiple instances of any plugin they all get processed seperately, think about it, they could all have different settings = different sets of calculations.

Back