cpu noise intel i3 dual core vs. i5 quad core

twangbuck

Hey quick question. Right now I'm recording demos with an HP 8200 Elite Small Form Factor desktop, with an intel i3 dual core processor with a speed of 3.10 ghz. It's pretty quiet as far as desktops go. So much so that when I'm recording a scratch track vocal in the same room (using an AKG Perception 420 and an Editor's Key's portable home vocal booth) I really don't hear any background noise in the vocal track, even when I'm isolating the track and really listening for it in my headphones.
Would an hp i5 with a quad core running at 3.20 ghz be noticeably louder? Or is it really too difficult to predict without hearing the fan going in person?

Processors don't make noise. But the cooling fans do (on the CPU, the GPU, power supply, and chassis). If you use graphics cards, finding passively cooled ones is a good measure. If you're super concerned about noise, you can investigate liquid cooling options for the CPU. For chassis fans, the bigger the better. Bigger fans can displace the same amount of air but at lower RPMs and hence less noise. Voltage-controlled fans are good because they'll only spin faster if internal temperature demands it (this would be an option on the motherboard).

Basically the more heat your system generates, the more cooling is needed. And cooling generally makes noise. I'm finding my i7 to be very efficient and doesn't generate enough heat to make my CPU fan crank up enough to whir. My 120mm chassis fans do make some noise, and they're not voltage controlled so they make a constant soft whirring sound any time the computer is powered up.

I have an HP AMD 2core 2.7G desktop and that is virtually silent with the factory fans.

I also have an HP i3 laptop and that is equally quiet. Little "shooosh" when it comes on but I can easily run it next to a mic and record.

I also have a home build Asus MOBO with a 3.5 G AMD 6core CPU and the noisiest part of that is the hard drive but even that shuts up after a minute or so. ...Seems modern stuff is now a lot quieter?

Dave.

What Tadpui stated. You should try for heat varied fans, or if you are going for a desktop, you may have to upgrade the fans to something quieter. Also, power supplies will make a noise as well.

Have any of you fellas used the Noctua chassis fans? I've been thinking about replacing my 2 120mm fans with something designed to be quiet, but I don't know if it's worth the expense. Noctua 120mm fans run about $20 apiece on NewEgg...I'm not sure if they're any quieter than the generic fans I have in my chassis currently.

The SilentWings 2 are impressive. My CoolerMasters run 19.1 dB (their spec), but those are listing only 16.5? That's pretty darned quiet!

Before I replaced the case fan(s), I would double check the CPU fan and make sure it isn't maybe the culprit. It could be CPU and case fans together. CPU fans are very often the culprit for noise.

I know that at least the very front 120mm case fan is making some noise...when I open the keylocked front door of the server case, that front fan starts sounding like a little tiny airplane. At least it quiets down when the door is closed (the foam filter must restrict enough airflow to slow the fan down to where it doesn't make that noise). I even moved one of the 120mm fans from the front of the case to the mid-case fan bar, which helped the noise a little. But they still make a noticeable amount of wind noise. Once I get all moved into my new studio space, I'll pull the server out of the rack and have a listen to the CPU fan itself. It's just the stock fan that came with the processor, so it's probably a pretty bare-bones basic fan.

Planning a new computer with i7-5820K (12 Thread, 6 Core, 3.3MHz) and going to try to go internally fanless (just 2 push and 2 pull fans). Using the No Fan CR95C CPU Cooler, four Noctua NF-S12A fans and a fanless SeaSonic PSU and ATI fanless FirePro GPU. Should scream right along for recording...Should run just under $2000 with a RAID1 3TB setup, SSD boot, 16GB 2133MHz and Win 7 64 Pro. Total noise should be under 15dBA.

I didn't realize that the i7 came in a 6-core model. What socket type do those use? The same LGA 1150 socket, or some new spec?

I have a i7-4770 Haswell that has yet to break a sweat on any of my audio projects. I've had projects with multiple VSTi, a couple dozen tracks, and just for the heck of it I put reverbs as inserts on several tracks just to see if I could get away with it. Never hit even 10% of the total CPU usage. There was much rejoicing :)

My only regret with this build is the motherboard (Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H). It's a very capable mobo, but there's some EMI noise that I can't seem to get rid of. Fortunately it's only while monitoring and I have yet to hear it in any recorded material. Thinking of getting an Asus mobo and putting the GigaByte into my office/gaming computer along with a new CPU and memory.

"It's a very capable mobo, but there's some EMI noise that I can't seem to get rid of"

'Lo Tad'.

MOBOs have earth pads under each chassis screw and the hole should be plated thru to the other side. Sometimes this is not the case or some solder resist or other insulating matter has kept the pad from earthing. Bit of a PITA I know but have the board out and check that each pad is clean both sides and that top connects to bottom.

Of course! For 99.99% of computer uses this does not matter but we audio nuts are fussy gits!

Also, are you using the UCX as a Firewire or USB AI? If the former there is a weird "data hum loop" that can be formed. If USB is clean but you want to stay FW I bet RME will have some ideas?

Dave.

Sorry for the derail earlier. BTW, check your cables. Once made the mistake of plugging TS cables into the TSR jacks between interface and speakers. Took me weeks to figure out what was wrong...

On that note above, I was once troubleshooting why the sound was so bad on one of my interfaces, turned out I had the output volume on max and it was clipping. Turned it back to around 75% and problem solved.

Can't imagine an MB emitting any interference signals. Maybe the fans or WIFI would, but I wouldn't think the MB.

Yeah, sorry to derail this thread.

But since we're already off the tracks... :D

I went ahead and grabbed a couple of those Silent Wings 2 120mm fans. Couldn't find an 80mm version for a reasonable price so I grabbed an 80mm Noctua. When I pull my server out of the rack to install those later this week, I'll take a look at the mobo isolation. From what I recall when I installed it, each mounting screw hole in the mobo has an isolation ring around it, that's integrated into the surface of the mobo.

The mobo doesn't seem to be affected by grounding, at least it doesn't react audibly when I ground myself to the chassis (and in my dry house this time of year, that ground differential can be dramatic). It's just that "electronic" noise when I move the mouse and minimize/maximize/move windows around, and even when the computer is idle. So I figure that either the on-board GPU or something is interfering with the audio path somewhere. I've tried a few different USB ports for the RME. The on-board sound card is horribly plagued with this noise, my M-Audio PCI card was pretty badly plagued with it, and my RME has a very faint noise in the background.

I figure that if I can't get rid of the noise, I'll end up putting in a new mobo based on what Sweetwater puts in their creation stations (which is what I patterned this build off of).

GPU, I was going to mention, but it could be the mouse. I have a wireless mouse, but it is connected to a USB receiver and that is located a bit of a distance from the computer. Try swapping out the mouse just to check, maybe use one of the old ball mouse types just as a test. I could see the mouse causing interference (keep in mind, I am just guessing) :o.

Good idea, I'll give that a try! I have a wireless MS mouse/keyboard that has a pretty crappy receiver. And come to think of it, it's plugged in adjacent to my interface. I wouldn't doubt if that's at least part of the noise issue. I was thinking about going to a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo for greater range, but I have no idea if it'd be less prone to generating interference.

Good idea, I'll give that a try! I have a wireless MS mouse/keyboard that has a pretty crappy receiver. And come to think of it, it's plugged in adjacent to my interface. I wouldn't doubt if that's at least part of the noise issue. I was thinking about going to a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo for greater range, but I have no idea if it'd be less prone to generating interference.

I have used a wireless kbd and mouse on a music PC for years with no problems. Also a Tranzport device but general Wireless kit for internet (and probably Bluetooth) causes a big hit on the CPU and is a major source (I am told!) of clicks and crashes.

How *&^%g far do you need to go from PC? Do not forget that you can put the kbd/mouse USB TX on the end of a 5 mtr (probably) USB cable?
Or like me, drill a hole in the wall behind MY chair while "she" is at Sainsburies!

Dave.

Back