CPU and Motherboard Temps

bbundy96

Does anyone know the normal ranges for CPU and motherboard temperatures? My CPU was at about 130 degrees F and the mobo at a little above 105 degrees F. They reached those temps after recording for about 2 hours. I have the standard CPU fan and 2nd front case mounted fan.
My workstation desk has a compartment for my tower and is maybe only 2" wider than my case, 4" taller and maybe 3" longer. I have two port holes in the back of the compartment (3" dia.) for cables to pass thru and was hoping that the heat inside would be able to leave the compartment thru that. Any ideas on better cooling?

thanx.
jim

I don't know by heart, but the checkup software of my Asus motherboard just indicates when the temp is too high.

I don't really understand your question. Doesn't your cooler in your case take care of the job?

I worked in the kiosk industry for a couple of years so I'm a little familiar with the whole enclosing a PC and worrying about ventillation thing.

I have a feeling your desk probably needs more airflow to the PC. Most [well built] kiosk enclosures have additional fans to maintain airflow inside the kiosk cabinetry. You could always drill another hole in your workstation compartment and buy yourself a 4" diameter exhuast fan to help.

Is your 2nd fan totally unobstructed in the front of the PC? You need a clear open path for both the exaust fan in the back and the one in the front.

Most PC's are rated to work properly as long as the temp inside the computer case does not exceed 120'F. You are within that range, so I wouldn't worry too much.

My only suggestions, if the problem gets worse, would be to make sure your recording area/room has good climate control and keep it at a fairly low temp like in a computer server room or lab and not keep the computer enclosed inside a compartment like you have it now.

Your Warm

Your temps are running a little warm (54.4C CPU, 40C MB) . It's probably due to the hard drive though instead of the CPU. Here are some things you can try.

1. If you have more than one hard drive, make sure there is open space between both of them for another hard drive. This allows room for the HD to breathe a little.

2. If you have an extra case fan, install it in the rear of the case near the top. This will pull the hot air out of the computer thus cooling all components.

3. Punch a hole in the top rear of your computer desk to let the hot air out arounf the vicinity of the power supply and the rear exhaust fan.

4. Allow plenty of air to enter the front of the case, hence don't close the door in front of the computer compartment if it has one.

This should get you started on lowering the temps. As long as your not overclocking, you should be alright. If you're running an AMD processor, you can expect things to be a little warmer than a Intel chip.

Good Luck!

Dick

Back