Cowboy Law (piano mix)

Listening as I type - excellent - the piano surrounds the singer on both sides leaving her nicely up front in the center.
Backing vocals are nicely tucked under the lead... Nice transparent compression on the louder sections.
Performance is outstanding.
Done - easy to critique when it's this good :D

Production's pretty solid.

The harmonies blend well with the lead vox.

You've got some distortion on "Dooooown" around 2:40. Also "laaaaw" and the vamps starting around 3:00.

It wouldn't hurt for her to ease off on the vocal affectations in the first verse. It would give her vocals more space to grow as the song progresses.

Actually, the dynamic progression of the song might be something to consider. You layer in the BGVs, and the lead vocal gets more intense towards the end, but the piano is pretty consistently the same level throughout. You don't have to layer in more stuff towards the end, but it's what I'd do?

Hi Ido1957,
thanks for the feedback. It’s good to hear that I apparently did a couple of things right. Mixing has never been my cup of tea. I just don’t hear things other people hear. This one was fairly easy since there was only one instrumental track (piano) and the vocals were extremely well recorded.

All the best
Robert

Hi Steve,
you touched something I hoped nobody would notice. So far you were the only person to notice that the vocals don’t really fit to the piano track. Actually the vocals were recorded to go with a country rock playback. You can find the original recording here: SoundClick artist: Rob B (GER) - Rob B. a songwriter from Germany
I took the vocal tracks out of that version and just placed them on top of my piano track. The whole thing was an experiment, but I was amazed how the piano version sounded. More intimate, with much more focus on the vocal performance. Man, you are really good because you noticed the playback and the vocals somehow don’t match perfectly.
Thanks for the feedback!

All the best
Robert

Back