Covers to check out.

dwkman0117

I have just started recording at home through my computer.
Please excuse the sound quality and mixing, nothing compared to others I have heard on this bbs.
All instruments are live and played by me.
Check them out and let me know what you think.
Please try to listen on decent speakers - quality will lack further on bad pc speakers.
Please excuse the page title and email footer - I am using my business site as my host page.

http://www.swtestingsolutions.com/music/music_download_page.htm

Sounded like it was preformed allright.

I havent heard the originals.

You need to get them vocals up front.

The guitar is wee bit thick.

other than that you got something to work on.

Keep it up :)

What I meant by the "performed" clause was that nothing was done via software. And, yes I agree - it sounds more like a live show recording compared to a studio track.
Thanks for the advise! I need to start cleaning up the recording.

more feedback

I was hoping to get more feedback on my cover songs. I am really impressed with allot of the work that is out here and I was hoping to be able to improve my sound with assistance from others. Please feel free to tell it like it is!

Thanks

I like your guitar sound on hitch a ride , but it may be a tad to "scooped" and kinda lacks a bit of punch.Adding some mids may give it a bit of body.Vocals sound cool although not anything like Billy joe's, they have there own thing going on which I dig.
The voclas on the NIN song are really cool.I like your dum sound/ placement in the mix, although on this one, I think the kick would sound better with some more low end meat t it.I like this one the best out of the 2.Nice job man!

variaxman said:
I like your guitar sound on hitch a ride , but it may be a tad to "scooped" and kinda lacks a bit of punch.Adding some mids may give it a bit of body.Vocals sound cool although not anything like Billy joe's, they have there own thing going on which I dig.
The voclas on the NIN song are really cool.I like your dum sound/ placement in the mix, although on this one, I think the kick would sound better with some more low end meat t it.I like this one the best out of the 2.Nice job man!
Thanks for the kind words! It takes me sometime to put these together!! The timing is always a major concern, since I play all of the instruments and sing myself. I agree that I don't sound like Billy Joe... tough one there. I am going to buy a set of drum mics and that should help with that problem. I record them with one track as of now, so that is also a problem...
The guitar was recorded with a miced amp, since then I replaced that with a pod2. The sound is much better now.
I will let you know when I have another one for you to hear -

dwkman0117 said:
Here is a new song I just got done with today. NIN Hurt cover. Let me know what you think, and if anyone wants to attempt to master it, please feel free and let me hear the difference!!

Top song - Hurt

Isn't anyone interested in commenting or helping me out on my recording(s)?
Just checking......

If noone is interested then that's cool.
-------------------------------------------

Hey dwkman,

I listened to all three recordings and the quality of recording isn't that bad. It obviously doesn't sound like you're in a studio recording with professional equipment, but everything sounds ok for your first time recording from your home.

The performances were good. I've heard two of the three originals (including the original Hurt by Johnny Cash) and they sounded right on. The vocals obviously didn't sound like Billy Joe or Trent Reznor, but that's probably because, well... you're not them. Instead you sounded like someone I've never heard before (because I haven't), and I liked the sound. Unique voice, on-key singing, great emotion, and personal style. Write some originals and Billy Joe or Trent Reznor would probably have a hard time performing and sounding just like you!

Keep it up, I like your personal touch to the covers, and the quality of recordings can only improve from here. From what I heard, you have a great starting point. Let us hear more! :cool:

PS. I assure you that people ARE interested in helping you out with your recordings. There are some awesome people on this form with great insight and recording & performance tips. Just understand that sometimes, as with anything, life gets in the way, and that's OK. People can't be full-time forum responders. but they can (and will) help you when it's convenient for them to respond.

You may get 500 views and 3 responses on your thread, but it doesn't mean that people hated it. For all you know all 500 people loved it, but only 3 had time to sit and respond to you. No biggie!

Keep on sharing! I'm diggin' the music... :cool:

Thanks for your feedback! I also hope that the quality only gets better - I plan on constantly replacing each part of my equipment as I go...
I am not a singer, so I am actually happy with what I was able to do.. I am a drummer who plays other instruments...

I do agree with you on the posting of others! You just get anxious after you worked for months on recordings and finally post them!!! I will try to be more patient.

Thanks again for your help!

Back