Covering Windows....

Nilbog

hello
A search in the forum didn't reveal a similar situation.

Basically, we've been kicked out of our sacred jam/recording spot and are therefor moving to our guitarists (other) house.

In our old spot, we were underground, so had to worry little about distrubing the neighbors. In the new place, we are ground level, with two big 'ol windows letting all the sound out into the upper-class tightwad neighborhood. I give us a few days before the cops are called (and we DO pratice nearly every day).

The windows are set about a foot into the wall (which is concrete covered with drywall). This, we believe, is where all the sound is escaping from.

We figure we can stuff some folded over futon matresses into the holes and then screw a big ol piece of plywood over the windows.

Would this be the best route?

We also thought we'd put some 'o our egg crate studio foam (or those blue apple layer deviders that you can get during stocking at the supermarket) over the board for a little extra sound proofing.

Hints, tips, suggestions welcome.

-Nilbog

I built boxes for my windows that worked pretty well, but they are extrememly heavy.

I took 2x4s on edge so the 2" goes against the wall, and put 3/4" plywood on the back, and put fabric wrapped rigid fiberglass insulation inside. On the edge of the 2x4 where it touches the wall, I put two layers of weatherstripping. I caulked the box heavily -- they would work as river rafts! :) Its important to make them airtight.

I mounted a 2x4 into the studs on the wall at the bottom for this whole heavy mixture to sit on, and used L brackets to cinch it down so the weatherstripping was compressed.

This has worked well me. Other folks have recommended that I might have replaced the plywood with a couple of layers of wallboard.

Since you have depth, and if you can disguise the looks, putting mattresses in the opening sounds wise. You don't want to create a drum with two surfaces and a nice air space inside.

You could build covers and put handles on the back for aid in putting them up and down.

Good luck!
-lee-

Back