covering the mic

.Tyson Studios.

I LOST THE GAME
hey, im pretty new to all of this stuff and have heard alot of things about covering your mics so there isnt dust in it. i have a blue bluebird and it has the deatachable pop filter which is a hassle getting on and off. so that takes out the option of just putting it in the box while it isnt in use. i also am leaving it out so i need it to look decent (meaning no walmart plastic bag covering it). anything you guys have tried or thought of? any ideas are appretiated (sorry bout the spellingg) :)

We have a crafty friend who makes "Crown Royal" type bags.
Honestly though, any old sock. Seriously.

Well not ANY old sock. Those can lint up and leave remnants. Just as bad, maybe worse than dust. And if the cat had been laying on it an hour before...

I generally leave fake fur covers on mine. Just take a strip of fake fur fold it in half. Sew up the sides. And invert it so the fur is on the outside. Dust protection and a wind screen. And it's not going to make that crinkle crinkle sound when you move it. Or just leave it on and record them when they think that they're not actively being recorded.

♫♪Tyson♫♪;3578909 said:
hey, im pretty new to all of this stuff and have heard alot of things about covering your mics so there isnt dust in it. i have a blue bluebird and it has the deatachable pop filter which is a hassle getting on and off. so that takes out the option of just putting it in the box while it isnt in use. i also am leaving it out so i need it to look decent (meaning no walmart plastic bag covering it). anything you guys have tried or thought of? any ideas are appretiated (sorry bout the spellingg) :)

I am sorry about your spelling, too.

Anyway, I've already actually made a cover that I leave on the mic 100% of the time -
I am thinking about developing something that might work better than foam.
Also address humidity and dust issues that can affect the capsule.

I've also developed a home made pop filter that incorporates the use of pantyhose,
an embroidery hoop, heavy gauge electrical cable and some plexiglas plate which
is machined to adapt the components. Works real nice. Not pretty but doable.
The pantyhose or nylon stocking as the case actually is, is fitted in such a way
that there are 2 layers of nylon and thus two "filters", as it were.
The hoop is mounted to the end of the cable which is a bit longer than your typical
gooseneck pop filter assembly but allows for a suspension action that allows the
filter/hoop to sway under the vocalist's air pressure. Not sure IF this contributes
to any noticeable sound improvement or not but it definitely kills the plosives without
any audible transient mechanical sound resulting from the impact of the plosive winds
upon the filter that transfers to the stand and to the microphone, shockmounted or not.

Another isolation development is a suspension equipped microphone stand platform.

Last edited:
Back