Cover tunes for a press kit

79_Les_Paul

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted here... life happens. Anyway, I'm playing in a classic rock band now and we just recorded about 20 tunes to put together for a press kit. I mixed out about half of them and the keyboard player did the other half.

We both have pretty good ears and know what we want to hear but neither of us have the proper room to do this in. I reference original tracks ALOT while I mix to better understand how my speakers are translating in my "not so perfect" mixing environment.

What I'm asking for is for some of the guys here that have had their room tuned to take a listen and tell me what you are hearing sonically. I'm not looking for suggestions on mixing per se. I just want to know how my mix sounds in a proper environment. I understand people listening will not have that option but I think you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Here's the first tune, it's Babe by Styx.

Thanks for the feedback.

Charlie (Back In The Day)

https://www.reverbnation.com/backintheday/song/23921873-babe

Last edited:
Hmmm .... well, the elec. piano sounded good, and the tone of the vocal was nice when it entered. I know this isn't necessarily what you asked for, but to be honest, there was so much pitchiness in the vocal that I stopped listening after about the 1:05 mark. If I were y'all and were really interested in getting gigs, I'd touch up those pitchy moments in the vocal for sure. Good luck.

I listened to it yesterday and didn't comment because I thought the same thing as Beagle but wanted to wait and see if anyone else heard it too. You have a great voice, its just off pitch at times. So yeah I think you need to retrack those.

The rest of the song doesn't sound bad. The piano part sounds like it may have a little too much "attack" verses the original, but may not be a big deal to you.

I listened to some of your other songs...you have a nice little collection there of some great classics!

Thanks for taking a listen guys, Are you hearing pitchiness only on the lead vocal or is it in the backing vocals as well? How does the mix sound sonically overall?

Sounds like mainly lead vocals to me. Mainly when you sing the last word of a sentence. Like "drawing NEAR", "your TEARS", and then also "lonely WITHOUT you".....all the CAPS sound a little flat.

Sounds like mainly lead vocals to me. Mainly when you sing the last word of a sentence. Like "drawing NEAR", "your TEARS", and then also "lonely WITHOUT you".....all the CAPS sound a little flat.

This ^

To be honest, I didn't listen long enough to hear the BG vocals.

I must agree with the pitch issue. Especially on the last notes on each line.

Time to raise your eyebrows while singing those notes. Trust me, as silly as it sounds it can help. :)

Yea I get it, the singer sucks....lol

Perhaps reading comprehension is a lost art today, especially on musicians..

Thanks for the criticism guys, it's been noted. :confused:

Back