Cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"

famous beagle

Our take on the Floyd classic. All comments welcome!

Thanks.

Attachments

• Wish You Were Here - mix 2.mp3
    6.9 MB · Views: 83
Pretty cool. Love the singer. That woodwind in the intro wasn't quite convincing--now you're going to tell me it was real. ;)

Pretty cool. Love the singer. That woodwind in the intro wasn't quite convincing--now you're going to tell me it was real. ;)

Ha! Well then I don't know what you take to be convinced! Yes it was real. It's the flute player from my wife's Celtic acoustic band. I can send you the soloed track if you'd like to hear the room noise, etc. :)

That's my wife on vocals (me on harmony); yes she's amazing.

Thanks for the listening!

hi beagle. it sounds like the piano is getting ahead of the beat. the intro vibe is kind of weird and reminds me of celtic music combined with enya.
your wife sounds great. kind of a bluesy voice but feminine at the same time.
the mix sounds great.

hi beagle. it sounds like the piano is getting ahead of the beat. the intro vibe is kind of weird and reminds me of celtic music combined with enya.
your wife sounds great. kind of a bluesy voice but feminine at the same time.
the mix sounds great.

Thanks Nola. Yeah it's possible I pushed a few beats at times. I was trying to roll a few chords, and I'm still getting that technique down. I appreciate the listen and the comments!

Thanks Nola. Yeah it's possible I pushed a few beats at times. I was trying to roll a few chords, and I'm still getting that technique down. I appreciate the listen and the comments!

No problem, Beagle, and even when it got a little ahead it wasn't a big deal, but I figure you want any and all observations given the high level of production you're doing.

Man I love this! I had to listen twice because the 1st time I got caught up in the lead vocal, she has that Stevie Nicks smoky sexy vibe going on. she sounds awesome! great job on the mix, the only thing I would add is there is a string instrument in the back ground, mandolin maybe? that could come up a bit. Very cool.:thumbs up:

Nola: I do appreciate the critical listening! :)

Atkron205: Thanks a lot! Yes my wife is quite the talent; I'm a very lucky man! I think you may be talking about a Nashville-strung acoustic; is the one doing the little arpeggios during the middle interlude? If so, I went back and forth with that so many times! It's too loud now! No, it's too soft now! :) I wanted the mix to have some depth, but maybe I pushed it a little too far back.

Very impressive. That's a tough tune to pull off, considering how many people, in particular musicians, are familiar with it.
You did a great job. Very lush and arranged well. Great vox, both lead and bknd. Instrumentation is nice. Loved the outro solo!

My only critique is on a production, not a mix aspect. The intro bored me to tears. Because you are in a sense 'family', I listened all the way through, a couple of times, I might add. :)
But had it been just a 'cold' listen, I might have turned it off before ever getting to the meat of the song. Which I gotta say is quite tasty.
:D

Last edited:
Listening again. Your wife's singing is amazing. Bass sounds great. Cool guitar solo. Reminded me how much I love this song.

Very nice. Your wife has a kind of a universal voice that would work well for blues/rock/country/pop/ and on and on.
Thanks for sharing this. Truly amazing. Gotta admit, the flute does sound fairly perfect in the mix. Other than a few breaths, it's pretty hard to tell it's not a VST.

Love the drums on this. Yeah it's a shame I thought the flute was midi too, I think we've been ruined on woodwinds. Great vocals, the whole mix is great, a real joy to listen to. Gotta admit I also got some ADD in the beginning there, I wonder if adding in another element would hold interest longer, or maybe just shave a couple bars somehow.

It IS very easy to make convincing flute without an actual flutist (flautist? flow test?). The sound of a flute is very close to a perfect sine wave, making it easy to duplicate digitally.
GET OFF MY LAWN ALERT!
Young kids these days, can't listen to a 30 second intro without getting to the meat of the song! In my day we listened to Close to the Edge (both sides, all three songs) and never complained. :laughings:

RFR: Thanks much. I'm glad you were able to make it through the boring intro. I guess I thought I was doing enough to maintain interest ... guess not! :)

packrobottom: Thanks for the listen and kind words!

Robus: Thanks very much! I agree about my wife. :)

Broken H: Appreciate the listen and kind words.

easlern: Thanks for listening and for the compliments. We had a lot of fun working on this one.

I have to say these comments about the flute are cracking me up. I was so proud that we got a real flute on the track! I'm gonna have to post the stem just to prove it to you all! :)

And it seems I took a little too long to get things going. I thought that bringing the band in on the second time through the melody was enough to maintain interest. Now you're telling me I've gotta add an intro solo too? :)

:D
Hey, despite my intial feelings about the intro, you made it into my phone's music Playlist. That says something.
:thumbs up:

The intro bored me to tears.

It sounded like Enya. : D
Just busting you, Beagle.

Haha. I got through it, though, and things got good.
The flute did sound fake, but I remember Beagle you posted a ukulele song a while ago and I thought that sounded like midi, too. I wonder if it's something with your style and technique of recording. Are the rooms totally dead or something? The uke and flute both lacked zing to them and therefore sounded like midi. It's fine, I'm okay with Midi keys and stuff, but it just sucks that it's real yet doesn't sound real.

Ok, you assholes, you asked for it! :) (just kidding)

Here's the flute track soloed. If you still think it sounds fake, then I don't know what to tell you! :)

Nola, I don't know. This was the first time I'd ever recorded a flute. The room is not totally dead. I recorded her in my control room, which is treated as a control room, so it's not super live or anything. But I don't have a great-sounding live room to use (there's a loft area adjoining my control room that I use for drums and guitars sometimes, but it's not a great big awesome room or anything).

Attachments

• Wish You Were Here - real flute.mp3
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 6
Maybe it's an indicator that even Floyd had to do the high-pass thingy to keep the listener's attention. It is a long intro. . .

Back