Cover of Daniel Johnston's True Love Will Find You in the End

lingyai

This is coming together, but not quite there just yet... an MP3 is attached below. I'd be grateful for any feedback!

Attachments

• true love will find you in the end_draft 2 _for Russ.mp3
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
Right off the bat, the guitar and vocals could use some more warmth or mids. The guitar sounds thin, and the vocals sounds a smidge thin too, but less so than the guitar. How are you mic'ing your guitar?

Thanks guys. I mic'd the guitar using the same mic as the vocal (an Oktava condenser). It was placed about 1.5 feet from the guitarist and aimed at where the neck meets the body. I've used this technique to good effect before, but for some reason, this time it came out rather muddy and boomy. I reckon I overdid the attempted remedial EQ. The thing is, this one is kind of tough — the song itself is rather quiet and lonely (in a good way) so I didn't want that full bodied r-r-r-ringing out which suits guitars in other songs. And the style — alternating bass and high notes — made it tricky to EQ. An additional problem might be (not to throw out any lame excuses) that I mixed it on some borrowed monitors — Edirol MA 15-Ds — which, at least I've since read are said to distort the low mids a lot and should in no way be seen as reference monitors. Sigh. They sounded ok and reasonably warm on the monitors, but when I listend to my own soundcloud upload on headphones, I see what you mean. I will have to rework it I think… let me get some proper monitors first, I reckon. Thanks again.

Back